Watch_Dogs Sold Over 4 millions Units During Its First Week (Eat That @Banana)

Started by ethomaz, Jun 03, 2014, 04:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

ethomaz

PARIS - June 3, 2014 - Today, Ubisoft® announced ongoing record sales for Watch Dogs, which has sold-through more than 4 million copies in its first week, positioning it as the best-selling new IP at launch across the video game industry*. Having already broken sales records in the first 24 hours following its release, Watch Dogs is now the company's best-selling game ever in week one**.

"With such strong sales momentum and positive feedback from gamers, Watch Dogs has positioned itself as the must-have game of the moment" said Tony Key, senior vice president of sales and marketing, Ubisoft. "We're really proud of this achievement, and are confident that the Watch Dogs brand has a promising future."

The launch of Watch Dogs on consoles and PC was accompanied by the release of a free companion app, ctOS Mobile. The app allows gamers to connect with the Watch Dogs universe from anywhere, at any time, and is designed to enable revolutionary dual-screen gameplay, or even to be enjoyed as a standalone experience without the main game. ctOS Mobile has already been downloaded and played by more than one million people**. Watch Dogs will also be released on the Wii U(TM) system from Nintendo in Fall 2014.

Watch Dogs is set in Chicago and lets players become Aiden Pearce, a brilliant hacker seeking justice following a violent family tragedy. Pearce hacks into Chicago's Central Operating System (ctOS), which controls the city's infrastructure (security cameras, traffic lights, public transportation and more) as well as key data on the city's residents. The game uses the all-new Disrupt game engine to deliver stunning visuals and an incredibly immersive world.

*based on NPD and GFK data and internal estimates as of June 3, 2014
** based upon internal estimates for Ubisoft's Watch Dogs worldwide sales data for all platforms as of June 3, 2014

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=829897

Over 3.5m is over 3.5m :P

ethomaz

Xevross

ethomaz

ethomaz

Asterisks updated.

*based on NPD and GFK data and internal estimates as of June 3, 2014
** based upon internal estimates for Ubisoft's Watch Dogs worldwide sales data for all platforms as of June 3, 2014

It is already early NPD/GFK data... cool.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Raven

Sad thing to me is, a game like this sells that many copies in one week but a game like Dark Souls doesn't even come close lifetime. Watch Dogs is not a bad game but I don't find it deserving of nearly that many Week One sales.

ethomaz

Sad thing to me is, a game like this sells that many copies in one week but a game like Dark Souls doesn't even come close lifetime. Watch Dogs is not a bad game but I don't find it deserving of nearly that many Week One sales.

Dark Souls sales are great too... it is just more hardcore than Watch Dogs... so the userbase is smaller compared... Watch Dogs shares the biggest user base of the consoles games: GTA.

ethomaz

"Most successful new franchise ever launched"

Raven

Dark Souls sales are great too... it is just more hardcore than Watch Dogs... so the userbase is smaller compared... Watch Dogs shares the biggest user base of the consoles games: GTA.

Even when comparing difficulty levels I still think it's sad. I just think that Watch Dogs should have spent another 6 months in development based on what I've played. I think it's shaming that this game sells 4 million at launch based on hype while a game like Demon's Souls had to prove itself just to go over a million lifetime.

Dr. Pezus

Crazy. Still, VGC will show around 3m FW I think:

1. This includes digital
2. This includes more days than the first sales week

ethomaz

Why is banana not here yet?  :'(

Dr. Pezus

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6366833

Lol @banana. (this is USA only of course, but I expect WW to be similar, except PS3 might be >360)

ethomaz

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6366833

Lol @banana. (this is USA only of course, but I expect WW to be similar, except PS3 might be >360)

I guess PS4 sales will be over 40%... so the others version won't cross 1 million in week 1.