The Gaming Community Thread! Multiplats and the like are welcome.

Started by Legend, Apr 23, 2015, 01:12 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

Never materialized? 

FFXVI, Deathloop, Ghostwire, Project Athia, Spiderman exclusivity on Avengers, Call of Duty beta exclusivity.
Well you obviously weren't following the rumours. Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo, Project Athia had already been announced. Spidey in Avengers is not that big and COD beta is basically nothing and happens every year anyway.

Insiders were saying there's a lot of genuinely shocking and huge things sony will announce, only thing that's happened since then is FF16 which was kind of expected anyway.

Xevross

Kinda Funny officially endorsed Legend Biden. That's kinda funny. Also kinda awesome.

the-pi-guy

Dusk Golem mentioned that they were looking to put RE8 on PS4, XOne.

Was confirmed today that this was the case.  

Xevross

Played a lot of Hades in the last week since it released.

Its phenomenal, just so fricking brilliant. Its very close to TLOU2 for my GOTY at this point and probably my new favourite indie game ever. And I'm not even much of a fan of roguelikes.

Dr. Pezus

Played a lot of Hades in the last week since it released.

Its phenomenal, just so fricking brilliant. Its very close to TLOU2 for my GOTY at this point and probably my new favourite indie game ever. And I'm not even much of a fan of roguelikes.
Switch? I'm interested

Xevross

Switch? I'm interested
I have it on epic games store since I bought it in early access. I hear the switch version is excellent as well.

Dr. Pezus

I have it on epic games store since I bought it in early access. I hear the switch version is excellent as well.
What makes it so good despite being a roguelike?

Xevross

Sep 25, 2020, 06:35 PM Last Edit: Sep 25, 2020, 06:38 PM by Xevross
What makes it so good despite being a roguelike?
Currently 93 opencritic after 39 reviews if you wanna read some reviews: Hades for PC, Switch Reviews - OpenCritic

As for my impressions. I prefer it when there's permanent progression to work towards and this game has it in droves and great variety. You can earn different rewards in runs related to permanent progression, like titan's blood for defeating bosses for the first time with a weapon, which can be used to upgrade weapons. You have darkness which can upgrade some stuff in the mirror of night in your room back at base. You get nectar to gift to people to develop friendships, unlock keepsakes which you can equip for buffs. There's loads. Some unique stuff like renovating chambers to give you a fountain recovery room in runs or bonus health when you find darkness. And its not just a simple case of do runs get x amount and get more powerful, you have choices to make and different priorities. Your weapons have 4 different aspects which you can level up but you can only use one at a time, your mirror has a list of 10 things to upgrade but each has an A or B option that you can choose between to have equipped. And this stuff is kind of unique, its not just a flat do more damage, there's stuff like bonus backstab damage, heal a bit through each room, dash an extra time before recovering etc. You can level up each keepsake from each NPC but you can only use one at a time.

So yeah, all sorts of stuff with permanent progression. The actual gameplay and runs are fantastic. You face the same enemies and bosses but your build can be vastly different each time. You get boons from different gods and upgrades to your weapon skills, so there's 8 weapons that all feel super different to each other and fun to use but then two runs with the same weapon can be completely different as well. The gameplay is a diablo style isometric hack and slash which I love. All the encounters are designed well and the difficulty curve feels just right. When you have a good build it feels amazing and if a run doesn't go so well its not too bad they don't last so long and at least you might make some progress towards permanent rewards.

There's lots of content and constant stuff to be working towards with a big endgame, like once you finish a run for the first time you unlock "heat" which allows you to add difficulty modifiers such as enemies are 20% faster, bosses gain an extra move, you heal 25% less from health items etc. Turning one of these on or adding another level to them adds to your heat number and for each weapon you have a best heat number for each boss, so you want to keep pushing up higher and higher heat for each of the 8 weapons to keep unlocking more permanent rewards. Essentially, hundreds of hours of content it would seem for people who want to keep going, not just play some more runs for the sake of it.

So yeah, there's just lots and lots of stuff in this game and its all super polished, it feels like they really thought of everything. But I haven't even touched on what really sets the game apart, the story. During your runs hear from gods as they give you boons, sometimes they interact with each other in funny ways, you talk to different characters you come across, there's lots of interesting dialogue. Outside of runs there's lots of characters to talk to and they usually have something new to say every time you're back, developing your own little story with them and finding more about them. You have your own story of why you're getting out and its an engaging overarching story which makes you want to carry on. When you fail a run it doesn't feel bad because you're right back in the hall where you can discover more of the story, the world and the characters. The dialogue and voice acting is genuinely fantastic, engaging and quite funny at times. Each character has an interesting story and as you give them nectar your relationships will grow, for some you can unlock a sort of quest to do for them which will reward you with a legendary keepsake and a much closer relationship once fulfilled (there's even a few romances including same naughtiness romance).

All in all its just crazy, they thought of so much stuff to do and its all polished so well. Runs are so much fun because the gameplay is so well designed and they're often so unique from each other, it feels super rewarding to beat a boss for the first time or make any progress. And failing and dying doesn't feel like the end as in most other roguelikes, because its all part of the overall story (dying is just canon in game as you're in the house of hades), a run is just another attempt at an escape. When you get back you sometimes get some jokes about how you died that time, but there's always some fun new dialogues and story to uncover. So the game flow is like a roguelike but the overall game kind of isn't, you're progressing Zagreus permanently in terms of gameplay power and his story all the time and that feels awesome.

I can quite honestly barely fault this game, it feels like my few problems with it are just my normal problems with the rogue-like style of play and me not clicking with a couple of the weapons yet. Perhaps I'd like to see a bit more story progression with each death and it feels a shame that you have to play for a while to then progress the character's dialogues only a bit. Each time you die you basically unlock one or two new lines from each character and it feels really slow. But you also could just kill yourself over and over if you wanted to get through a character's available dialogue quickly.

Oh yeah and there's also a "god-mode" (easy difficulty) which is if you don't like rogue-like difficulty and just want to experience all the game has to offer and the story so that's cool.

Dr. Pezus

Wait, dragon quest xi S is now coming to PS4 lol

Xevross

Wait, dragon quest xi S is now coming to PS4 lol
This has been known for weeks.

Dr. Pezus

This has been known for weeks.
Not by me smh

the-pi-guy

Dr. Pezus

Xevross

Sep 28, 2020, 11:08 PM Last Edit: Sep 28, 2020, 11:14 PM by Xevross
Been playing nothing but more Hades this last few days (although not too much at once to not burn myself out on it), I'm just in love with it. Its a masterpiece, that is certain in my mind. I still have lots left to see and do in it, haven't hit the credits yet, but pretty sure its stolen my GOTY from TLOU2, which is crazy.

I escaped with all the weapons now and got really great builds going with them all. It feels like once you know what you're doing and your character is well upgraded you can get an awesome build going with any of the weapons. I was worried the two melee focused ones would never really click with me but I had three clears with them now and each one was awesome, I decided to focus on speed and nuke builds with them and it worked really well. Sometimes a run surprises you though, like I had an incredible build today with the spear that just tore through enemies and it wasn't even a kind of build I was aiming to go for, it just fell into place that way.

They got the balance of power just right, if you're good enough and have an idea of what boons to use with each other you can do well and have fun in every single run. And my god is it fun when you get a good build going.

Dr. Pezus

Crash 4 getting great reviews!

Star Wars squadron too!

Go Up