When will the first next gen exclusive release from Microsoft?

Started by Legend, Jul 17, 2020, 02:59 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Since a lot of Microsoft studios just joined the team, I bet they were all already working on cross gen. Only games started really recently would be built around next gen.

So my bet is Hellblade 2 and Fable will both release on Xbox One.

I think The Outer Wilds 2 might be their first next gen exclusive. Wouldn't have started development that long ago, yet could have a short development cycle as a direct followup.

Late 2021, The Outer Worlds 2.

the-pi-guy

Relevant

Phil Spencer confirms that first-party devs have the choice of whether or not to make games cross-gen | ResetEra

The thing you'll see on the 23rd is we're giving our studios real creative freedom to build the games that they envision.

As you know we've added a lot of studios to the to the Xbox Game Studios organization over the last few years and providing them the financial stability, the creative freedom to go build the games that they want to go build, and our game creators want to build great games that can reach a large audience of players.

So I think what you hear Matt (Booty) talking about and what our creators will say is we have a vision for every game that we're building and the vision starts with the player, not the device. If a creator comes to us and says 'No, I really want to focus on next generation' with their games, we're completely open to that and we're very supportive of that.

If a creator comes to us and says I have this vision for reaching these customers across different platforms and different generations we're completely supportive of that.

It is really about our creators having choice and allowing them to build the games that they want to build to reach the audience that they're looking for and not things that we're mandating to our creators in terms of what they have to go do.

It's not our rules for our platform it's more about creators creating the games that they want to go build looking ahead.  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
I think this really dispels the theory of Xbox forcing all games for the next two years to be "held back" by the OG Xbox One.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHKQ22CQoSw

Edit (posting what I said in the comments):
 Folks, note that he is not saying that there will or will not be only cross-gen games in the first year. He's only saying that the platform decisions that were made were made in conjunction with the respective devs. I think this is completely in line with what he said earlier. Both can be true at the same time.  
[/size]

BananaKing

Thats basically a cop out to me. Its keeping the dreams of the fan boys alive that some games might be next gen exclusives, while he did say that all their games aren't. It's also to try back the narrative that xb1 isn't holding back next gen

kitler53

Jul 17, 2020, 03:39 PM Last Edit: Jul 17, 2020, 03:44 PM by kitler53
the fist next gen exclusive will arrive no earlier than holiday 2022,... probably even later.   its not like MS has any studio's capable of putting together a game that needs all of that hardware.   all of their studios except obsidian are AA studios at best and obsidian's next AAA will probably be 2023/4 if the actually plan to make a next gen game instead of a quick sequel of mostly recycled assets and gameplay.

Thats basically a cop out to me. Its keeping the dreams of the fan boys alive that some games might be next gen exclusives, while he did say that all their games aren't. It's also to try back the narrative that xb1 isn't holding back next gen
agreed.  this recent statement is basically a 180 on the statements from this year.   clearly if the statement from 2 weeks ago was valid then "each studio had a choice" but "they all choose to be cross-gen".    otherwise the original statement was a baldface lie.   this is clearly PR spin to try and combat the "xbox held back" narrative.   i don't know why anyone likes this guys,.. his statements are always at best "half-true" spin.   i get that PR needs to PR but he is the most un-authentic PoS in the business right now.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

Just on Geoff's stream then they talked about the importance of generations. How we've already seen from Insomniac that they're making a game that just wouldn't be possible on PS4. That's what xbox fans are missing out on due to this decision. They'll get nicely enhanced games but their true generational leap will come two years after Playstation's, basically.