Poll: will the PS5 or the Xbox Next be more powerful?

Started by the-pi-guy, May 05, 2019, 07:31 PM

previous topic - next topic

Which will be stronger?

The PS5 will be a lot stronger (+50%)
0 (0%)
The PS5 will be a bit stronger (+25%)
0 (0%)
The PS5 will be a little stronger (above +5%)
2 (50%)
They will be about the same (+/- 5%)
0 (0%)
The NextBox will be a little stronger (above +5%)
2 (50%)
The NextBox will be a bit stronger (+25%)
0 (0%)
The NextBox will be a lot stronger (+50%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

the-pi-guy

This needed a poll!  What do people think?

BananaKing

I honestly don't know. After the PS4 I can see MS trying their hardest to not have a power disadvantage next gen. But it seems the PS5 is aiming to be a very powerful next gen console. If the rumors are true of Xbox having two consoles or versions, then I can see them going overboard with the high end version.

DerNebel

I feel the strong urge to contribute to this thread by informing you of the fact that I couldn't even pretend to give a shame about which of these two machines ends up the more powerful one.

Thank you and good bye.

the-pi-guy

I feel the strong urge to contribute to this thread by informing you of the fact that I couldn't even pretend to give a shame about which of these two machines ends up the more powerful one.

Thank you and good bye.
Thank you for your contribution.  I look forward to the sequel.  

From a gamer pov, there's no way they'll be different enough to really matter.  

But, some of us like discussing this stuff.  

Legend

Hard thing to predict. Microsoft is rumored to have a cheap entry level system and a more expensive pro system. If Sony has a "one size fits all" approach than it almost guarantees that Microsoft will have a stronger system.

The rumors about the entry level Xbox being comparable to Scorpio are odd though. If that is the case, what even is the point of having this new system? There are plenty of technical things that could make Scorpio not forward compatible but from a consumer and developer side does it matter?

Scenario 1: Xbox One, Xbox One X, Nextbox Minus, Nextbox Plus

Devs make cross gen games that support all 4. One x and Minus are essentially the same experience. Next gen exclusive games are designed with Minus in mind and can't fully take advantage of the Plus's power. Sell poorly on Minus anyway since it's the start of the gen and most early adopters would buy the Plus.

Scenario 2: Xbox One, Xbox One X, Nextbox Plus

Devs make cross gen games that support all 3. Next gen exclusive games can either fully use the power of plus, or they can have an Xbox One X exclusive port. Devs have more options and can make more money off the Xbox One X's larger install base until they're fully ready to switch to next gen.

Scenario 2 doesn't really make much sense but it shows the faults with scenario 1. The only way it works imo is if the nextbox has a non graphics related feature that can't be emulated on Scorpio. e.g. Wii with motion controls vs gamecube.

I went with PS5 +5% in the poll because I don't think Microsoft is as focused about power as they act. Instead I think they are more interested in having a good price and just being close enough. Xbox Minus could have price optimized architecture and come in at $299, maybe even $249 with a red ocean strategy, while the Xbox Plus could be $399. PS4 benefited greatly from being $100 cheaper than the competition and I think they know that.

the-pi-guy

Hard thing to predict. Microsoft is rumored to have a cheap entry level system and a more expensive pro system. If Sony has a "one size fits all" approach than it almost guarantees that Microsoft will have a stronger system.

The rumors about the entry level Xbox being comparable to Scorpio are odd though. If that is the case, what even is the point of having this new system? There are plenty of technical things that could make Scorpio not forward compatible but from a consumer and developer side does it matter?
I think if it happens it'll be like this:

-(One X/Xbox Minus), Xbox Plus

-Push the Xbox One X as being forward compatible.  Phase out the Xbox One X, and the Xbox Minus will basically be its cheaper to make replacement.  
-Whereas the Xbox Plus gets pushed as the Xbox Pro.

kitler53

i vote that xbox will have more "raw" power but sony will have more "useful" power because ps5 will be built for games instead of for windows 10 cross compatibility.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens