Sony Aquires ... Epic

Started by kitler53, Jul 09, 2020, 06:51 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

The ... was not for dramatic pause.  it was for "minority interest"...

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Good one :P

Sony and Epic seem to be buds. Wonder if this will change anything.

the-pi-guy

Update: Sony is acquiring a 1.4% stake in Epic, which means the deal values Epic Games at $17.86 billion

Tiny.  

kitler53

Update: Sony is acquiring a 1.4% stake in Epic, which means the deal values Epic Games at $17.86 billion

Tiny.  
Tencent, China's largest video game publisher, invested $330 million to acquire a 40 percent stake in Epic Games back in 2012. Tencent's large investment helped Epic reinvent itself as an industry powerhouse, supporting the creation of Epic's Unreal Engine 4 game development suite and the eventual launch of "Fortnite."Oct 9, 2019
I know fortnight was a huge success and they acquired a couple of studios but this seems like an overvaluation.   sony got screwed.

darkknightkryta

Epic is probably going to grow again soon.  After seeing how they made The Mandalorian, I know why they made that purchase.  Even 1% will be rewarding.

Legend

Epic is probably going to grow again soon.  After seeing how they made The Mandalorian, I know why they made that purchase.  Even 1% will be rewarding.
Unreal is going to take over so many things.

darkknightkryta

So I was reading that Sony wants to invest in microLED for film production. Much like what The Mandalorian is doing. Sony's reasoning for buying shares is starting to become clearer.

Xevross

Well this bump was kind of rude.

kitler53

Well this bump was kind of rude.
yes, very.   although I should have remembered that I made this thread.

the-pi-guy

https://www.resetera.com/threads/sony-is-going-to-start-selling-its-mandalorian-like-virtual-set-displays.356938/

Sony has announced that it's going to start selling a series of modular displays that can be used to create digital movie sets (via The Hollywood Reporter). If this kind of technology seems familiar, it may be because Industrial Light & Magic and Epic Games built similar sets to help create The Mandalorian.

They displays are part of Sony's Crystal LED line, which are modular panels that use MicroLEDs, and were previously marketed as being used for signage. The screen tech and modularity means that you can make enormous displays using a bunch of panels connected to a controller. That's useful if you're trying to create a virtual set out of displays.

Sony is going to start selling its Mandalorian-like virtual set displays

darkknightkryta

Legend

Xevross

Why does unrelated shame keep getting posted here?

darkknightkryta

Why does unrelated shame keep getting posted here?
This is all related to the money Sony, not SIE, invested into Epic.