Why It Should Bother Everyone That The Oscars Are So White

Viewing single post

Started by 7H3, Feb 21, 2015, 04:35 PM

previous topic - next topic

7H3

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/20/oscars-diversity-problem_n_6709334.html
#OscarsSoWhite that if Common and John Legend win an Academy Award for Best Original Song this Sunday, it will be only the 32nd time in 87 years that a black person has held a competitive Oscar on Hollywood's biggest stage. That's 32 times out of more than 2,900 winners.

"It's a white industry. Just as the NBA is a black industry. I'm not even saying it's a bad thing. It just is," Chris Rock wrote last year in a thoughtful op-ed for The Hollywood Reporter. Rock's piece went viral because of how clearly he laid out the problems in Hollywood: It's a place where at every level, from the top on down, diversity is lagging behind society.

Except here's where Rock was wrong: It is a "bad thing." Last year, 43 million people watched the Academy Awards. This year's ceremony will reach more than 200 countries around the globe. For 87 years, the Oscars have been a celebration of filmmaking. And the message it puts across, however unintentionally, is hard to miss: Certain voices matter more than others.

It should also be noted the SJW authors are white...
I don't watch the Oscars so I don't really care, but not everyone can win and probability states that if their are more x's than y's more x's will get picked. So I don't think its as much about saying x matters more than y, but rather the industry could stand to have a lot more diversity which obviously takes time and has been increasing over time. There are many actors whose film I look forward too because they are great actors and it has nothing to do with something as fickle as skin color.
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend