Xbox One X "Performing Phenomenally" says NPD

Started by the-pi-guy, Nov 29, 2018, 06:31 PM

previous topic - next topic

Kerotan

Revenue is most certainly less relevant then units sold. Units sold and profit is king. Selling 2m at a profit for €200 each is far better then selling 1m at €500 and less profit. Much worse in fact.

BananaKing

360 never declined YOY on though, it reached its peak and stayed there for a year or two then kinect gave it a second, bigger peak. And also the kinect isn't a new enhanced console, which was my point.

Anyway its not me who made the statement and I don't care about defending the finer details of what he said. Its something new happening with the XB1, and there's no point being pedantic about it.
No, I want to fight, baby

the-pi-guy

No, I want to fight, baby
Don't actually care, but *raises fists*

SWORDF1SH

To add a little perspective, 2017 XB1 sales were ruined by the announcement of the X and people holding out for the more powerful console. Sales lost in 2017 were transfered to 2018. X definitely helped XB1 sales but not as much as solely compering sales from 2017 and 2018 suggest.

Kerotan

To add a little perspective, 2017 XB1 sales were ruined by the announcement of the X and people holding out for the more powerful console. Sales lost in 2017 were transfered to 2018. X definitely helped XB1 sales but not as much as solely compering sales from 2017 and 2018 suggest.
Very well said. A lot of lazy analysis about xbox sales going around lately

BananaKing

Don't actually care, but *raises fists*
So it's two against one eh?

Xevross

I partially agree. I think sales of people waiting around for the X went to November, in all the X pre orders. X wasn't sold out iirc, so I don't see why it would have transferred further down. From then on, the increase in sales are from general interest in X. And okay, maybe from when MS announced X onwards to November you have to take into account lower sales due to people waiting for X, but that was only a few months and it won't be that much.

The point of this though is that the X itself is performing well, with a larger than expected sales ratio. Nobody's saying overall XB1 sales are that good.

Ludicrous Speed

It should, it's phenomenal. What it does to  BC games alone is incredible.

Kerotan

Larger then expected? I don't know how you'd expect 2018 so far to be down on 2017 so far. It's sales were dogshit as MS were hyping the scorpio.

SWORDF1SH

I partially agree. I think sales of people waiting around for the X went to November, in all the X pre orders. X wasn't sold out iirc, so I don't see why it would have transferred further down. From then on, the increase in sales are from general interest in X. And okay, maybe from when MS announced X onwards to November you have to take into account lower sales due to people waiting for X, but that was only a few months and it won't be that much.

The point of this though is that the X itself is performing well, with a larger than expected sales ratio. Nobody's saying overall XB1 sales are that good.
Yes I agree. I wasn't really referring to the hardcore gamers but the general flow of sales. I'm guessing news of a far superior xbox console coming out was enough to hold off some sales until a later date. It's not really easy to prove until a few years down the line.

Xevross

Huh? No. Wat?

The only relevance the sales split between base and premium console has is that a permium console is more likely to be bought as a mid gen upgrade as opposed to someone buying his/her first gen 8 console a.k.a is it bringing a new person into the ecosystem vs is it someone who already is part of the ecosystem.

It's not the hardware sales itself, that's supposed to bring in the money and even if it was, the only information that revenue tells us, is that the actual money a company made is less than the revenue that they made, it might actually even be negative.

Where revenue would make sense is with game sales, especially if the game's been out for a while and went through a lot of price cuts already, cause there we have general ideas of the profit margins. At least this goes for non service games without microtransactions, the rules for those would be different again.
Sorry I forgot to reply to this.

I meant that if we just get a base units number vs base revenue number, from the revenue number we can at least try and work out the split between the base and pro. We know the pro generates more revenue and it might make more profit, but not sure on that front.

I think to us, units is always better to see since its what we care about more, and its more easy to compare to other consoles and such. But if you're just trying to judge performance, say you're an investor or something like that, then revenue is very helpful.

Revenue does make more sense for games, especially since prices can vary so much.

Kerotan

Sorry I forgot to reply to this.

I meant that if we just get a base units number vs base revenue number, from the revenue number we can at least try and work out the split between the base and pro. We know the pro generates more revenue and it might make more profit, but not sure on that front.

I think to us, units is always better to see since its what we care about more, and its more easy to compare to other consoles and such. But if you're just trying to judge performance, say you're an investor or something like that, then revenue is very helpful.

Revenue does make more sense for games, especially since prices can vary so much.
Operating revenue is what's most important.

ethomaz

Nov 30, 2018, 09:38 PM Last Edit: Nov 30, 2018, 09:39 PM by ethomaz
Operating revenue is what's most important.
Operation incoming is what really matters :)

It is the most close to net profit you will get from a division.

Go Up