The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Ridiculously
0 (0%)
Very
1 (20%)
Somewhat
0 (0%)
Not at all
0 (0%)
Depends on my mood
4 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Go Down

kitler53

I don't have GearVR yet, but I've been messing around with apps. The lack of buttons feels like a huge problem.
i thought it had one. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Legend

Man I can't wait for VR. Videos like this just make it feel so "real," unlike the fun but gimmicky VR games out there.

kitler53

Yeah 1 isn't enough.
okay.  so the key to your statements was "buttons"it sounded liked you were saying there were none.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Mmm_fish_tacos

Sorry it's all messed up, I'm on my phone. But this was 5 years before the virtual boy.  :D

Legend

Mmm_fish_tacos

We've sure come a long way.

Retro VR lacked persistence.
Yep, but it also showed how old a lot of the tech actually is that is being used in modern sets.

Mmm_fish_tacos

NeoGAF - View Single Post -  Minecraft VR poisoning the well (Polygon, Toms Hardware etc)

Minecraft VR will mean a lot for the medium this year and the press went hands-on with it two weeks ago. The game offers two modes for VR: A virtual cinema mode in which the game shows in 3D stereoscopic in front of you on a huge cinema screen. Apparently you can control some selection with your gaze as well. This mode supposedly works really well for what it is. With a touch of a button however you enter full-immersion mode where you control the character in traditional FPS style. This comes as a no shock to most who follow VR developments but traditional FPS traversal is poison in VR. Minecraft has instant and fast motions in all directions with big drops, jumps etc. Users become sweaty and motion-sickness develop rapidly.  Lo-and-behold various impressions on twitter following the event, culminating in hands-on videos like this by Polygon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDhlEwXvdZU and Tom's hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/min...sea,31309.html
Originally Posted by Tom's hardware

The NauseaOn my first playthrough of the game, I briefly played in the virtual living room before hopping into the actual Minecraft world. However, the feeling of nausea came around after a few seconds in the unique VR view. Throughout the demo, I had to be cautious about the speed of my head turns and my character's overall movement. When combined, those two actions can result in a dizzying experience. Eventually, the nausea somewhat subsided near the end of the demo. However, there were issues with the game recording software, so video footage wasn't available. I had a slightly better experience on my second run through of the game (which is the video included in this story), but my dizziness lingered as I made my way through the map.Nausea has not been an issue for me in most of the VR games I've played. Even EVE: Valkyrie, with its fast-paced space flight action, didn't make me feel sick, but Minecraft, a simple game of creativity and survival, gave me an uncomfortable experience in VR. It seems, then, that the virtual living room was created for those who might have issues playing the game in a true VR mode.

Ultimately Oculus (ironically) are on the verge of poisoning the VR-well in a spectacular fashion right now in their reach for a huge-get with the Minecraft IP. Microsoft... I don't think they really care one way or the other (see: Hololens bs marketing etc). Everyone will want to try this in VR with huge expectations. If the first-impressions are bad (with grown-ups and younger audiences alike) it could turn a huge amount of people off VR.The solution is thankfully really simple: Just drop the full-immersion mode completely! The cinema mode isn't a full VR experience but Oculus and Microsoft *really shouldn't* shoehorn this non-VR game into full-immersion mode with the current design. It is not designed for VR at all as-is.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Dr. Pezus

Raven

Don't shoe horn vr into your game.  >:(
Yeah. Minecraft isn't exactly ideal for a VR experience. I read a comment on VR awhile back that made sense to me. That the less "realistic" the world looked, the greater the impact on your senses. Something like Minecraft might make your head swim from how simple and inorganic it's visuals are compared to reality.

Mmm_fish_tacos

NeoGAF - View Single Post -  Playstation VR GDC Presentation: March 15th

While we wait, a nice little post on reddit about why the PSVR full-RGB OLED screen is divine:
Most people tend to go into PSVR with a biased attitude expecting it to be inferior to PCVR. First of all it has a lower resolution right? Well the PSVR screen does have fewer pixels that can be directly manipulated, but it makes up for that gap with having 50% more sub-pixels for each pixel. Samsung's Pentile technology is really good for smartphone and other screens and images look vibrant on them because they use an alternative layout of sub-pixels that unnaturally enhances the colour green. The colour most distinguishable by humans. Pentile display uses: RG-BG pattern for 2 consecutive pixels, RGB display uses : RGB-RGB pattern for 2 pixels So, for the same amount pixels PSVR has more sub-pixels by 2:3. Now, let's have a look at the resolution and see which display has more sub-pixels. 2160x1200x2 = 5,184,000 | 1920x1080x3 = 6,220,800 (20% higher) Consider the fact that all three displays have almost the same FOV. They may even run some of the same games. The top one will have a higher resolution and therefore be able to define fine detail on objects and text and will also have a relative increase in processing power requirement. The increase in resolution alone is merely 25%. The second however has the advantage of having more sub pixels crammed in to produce a higher density image. It uses this to alleviate screen door effect instead of increasing the resolution and having to require more processing power. Consider the DK2: 1920x1080x2 = 4,147,200 Oculus have managed to increase the pixel density by 25% with the consumer version in order to minimize the screen door effect. While PSVR manages an increase of 50% in sub-pixel density over the DK2. There's a lot more to technology than reading off the back of the box.

https://www.reddit.com/r/playstation...ledrgb_screen/

the-pi-guy

NeoGAF - View Single Post -  Minecraft VR poisoning the well (Polygon, Toms Hardware etc)

Basically having a character moving while not moving is the issue?  Why hasn't that been an issue with other games?

RIGS for example.

I haven't really seen Minecraft to have as much jumping around, as much speed.  
I think there has to be other issues with it.  

Yeah. Minecraft isn't exactly ideal for a VR experience. I read a comment on VR awhile back that made sense to me. That the less "realistic" the world looked, the greater the impact on your senses. Something like Minecraft might make your head swim from how simple and inorganic it's visuals are compared to reality.
Minecraft could very cool in VR.  

Mmm_fish_tacos

Basically having a character moving while not moving is the issue?  Why hasn't that been an issue with other games?

RIGS for example.

I haven't really seen Minecraft to have as much jumping around, as much speed.  
I think there has to be other issues with it.  
Minecraft could very cool in VR.  
I think it's the way the character moves. If it doesn't feel natural to the brain then your going to have problems.  In rigs your playing a seated character inside a moving machine. The brain expects this and can handle it.

Go Up