General Discussion Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 16, 2014, 06:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Miles suck!
Lol

0 to 60 vs 0 to 100. Metric always makes more sense
I've never understood the obsession with units of 10. When doing math, metric is the superior system no questions asked.

But for day to day stuff, 100 is just as random as 60. It's just a number on a sign that you have to compare with numbers on your speedometer.

the-pi-guy

I've never understood the obsession with units of 10. When doing math, metric is the superior system no questions asked.

But for day to day stuff, 100 is just as random as 60. It's just a number on a sign that you have to compare with numbers on your speedometer.

Yeah.  
Converting stuff to other stuff, metric is great.  And there are a number of equations that are pretty much only doable in metric.  

But aside from that, there's not really any big benefits .

Xevross

60mph is the standard speed limit in the UK, called the national speed limit, on any roads without a speed limit marked. Motorways and dual carriageways are 70, but you can drive low 80s without being actually caught for speeding on motorways. My Dad always cruise controls at 83.

So 60 is a standard number here I guess.

nnodley

60mph is the standard speed limit in the UK, called the national speed limit, on any roads without a speed limit marked. Motorways and dual carriageways are 70, but you can drive low 80s without being actually caught for speeding on motorways. My Dad always cruise controls at 83.

So 60 is a standard number here I guess.
I believe 60mph is what I have always heard is the speed limit for no speed limit signs here.  That's mostly just back roads anyway so no one really cares.  The interstate I always drove to school was 70 with the rate of traffic being usually around 80 so I would usually drive that or 85.  I get up to 90 or so in stretches where our side of the road is split from the other side by a little forest between us.  

Legend

I recently drove to Florida and it was odd having 70 mph be the max for most of the trip. From Kansas to California it's normally 75 mph max.

nnodley

I recently drove to Florida and it was odd having 70 mph be the max for most of the trip. From Kansas to California it's normally 75 mph max.
I wish some of our roads would be upped to 75.  Everyone mostly goes 80 already.

Dr. Pezus

To me 100 seems like your going fast. You must like going fast with out the risk.
Obviously. Bigger numbers are better!

the-pi-guy

Here unmarked roads are 55.  

For a while that was the max for the state.  "55 saves lives"

Then we started getting 65 mph roads.  

Then there's some 70 mph roads too.  

Dr. Pezus

Holy shame

the-pi-guy

Xevross

Holy shame
Probs picked the worst but lol. Why is America on the right?

Dr. Pezus

Probs picked the worst but lol. Why is America on the right?
Probably to confuse a bit, or maybe the maps are like that there?

Xevross

Apparently they aren't.

Legend

Yeah it's to confuse people.

The point of things like this is to get people to have "stage fright" of a sort. Not that I'd expect most people to get that many, but most Americans do at least know where America is.

nnodley

My god that video.  I don't know a ton like the kid at the end, but I could name a decent amount.

Go Up