Nintendo Q3 FY2021 - 11.57M Switch (79.87M LTD), Animal Crossing NH 5.14M (31.18M LTD), MK8D reaches 33.4M LTD

Started by Xevross, Feb 01, 2021, 11:50 AM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

Report - https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2021/210201e.pdf

Switch has outsold 3DS:

Switch is now the fastest selling home console ever after overtaking Wii launch-aligned (In terms of all video game systems, Switch is now only behind the DS and its pretty close):

Now for software, here's the top selling Switch titles and their sales updates this quarter in brackets:

• Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 33.41M (+4.42M)
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 31.18M (+5.14M)
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 22.85M (+1.75M)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 21.45M (+1.71M)
  • Pokémon Sword/Shield - 20.35M (+1.33M)
  • Super Mario Odyssey - 20.23M (+1.24M)
  • Super Mario Party - 13.82M (+1.72M)
  • Pokémon: Let's Go! - 13.00M (+510K)
  • Splatoon 2 - 11.90M (+630K)
  • New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 9.82M (+1.5M)
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 - 9.13M (+1.3M)
  • Ring Fit Adventure - 8.68M (+2.84M)
  • Super Mario 3D All-Stars - 8.32M (+3.11M)
  • Super Mario Maker 2 - 6.91M (+1.43M since March 2020)

Updates on games released this FY:

• Paper Mario: The Origami King - 3.05M (+230K)
  • Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (outside of japan) - 2.84M
  • Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics - 2.62M (+810K)
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe - 1.94M
  • Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition - 1.48M (+80K)
  • Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit - 1.08M

Xevross

Astonishing set of results here. Switch is flying along and is on track to pass Game Boy and become the third best selling video game system of all time behind DS and PS2.

Animal Crossing is an absolute monster, 31M sold in 10 months of sales is unbelievable, only GTAV is higher in gaming history. It has now almost outsold every other AC game combined, it will probably reach this at the end of the next quarter. It is already the best selling game of all time in Japan.

The legs on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe are insane, selling over 4M this quarter and it looks like it might keeps its #1 spot from AC. Including the WiiU version its the best selling MK game ever, MK8D will hold this title on its own by the end of 2021.

Pikmin 3 Deluxe launches to 1.94M and is instantly the new best selling Pikmin game.

BOTW legs are extremely impressive, its now stretching out a lead over Odyssey, when 3D Mario was always bigger than Zelda before this. Looks like it will hold onto the #4 spot for Switch software, unless another massive new game comes along.

the-pi-guy

The big question. Will it pass on the PS2 or will Nintendo drop it before then?

Xevross

The big question. Will it pass on the PS2 or will Nintendo drop it before then?
Time will only tell with that one, PS2 is a massive target that even at this year's incredible pace would still take 3 more years to hit. In calendar years, this is Switch so far:

2017: 14.87M
2018: 17.40M
2019: 20.21M
2020: 27.39M

Its now about half of PS2 and DS's total lifetime sales, so it would basically have to do the above again in reverse to reach them. It seems there will be a pro model this year, but I don't think that will help it stay flat with 2020 given the COVID bump. If I was to predict now, I'd say:

2021: 23M (Pro launch)
2022: 18M
2023: 14M
2024: 9M (successor)
2025+: 7M

Total ~150M.

So I guess I'm predicting very close but no cigar.

Legend

It doesn't really matter, but it's funny it's still considered a home console even though half its skus can't connect to a tv. Is there a ww sales ratio we know of?

Also I know AC is huge, but for me switch has been so front loaded. Botw, Odyssey, and Smash were all in its first two years. Luigi's Mansion 3 and New Horizons have only been ok. Let's hope botw2 releases this year!

kitler53

It doesn't really matter, but it's funny it's still considered a home console even though half its skus can't connect to a tv. Is there a ww sales ratio we know of?

Also I know AC is huge, but for me switch has been so front loaded. Botw, Odyssey, and Smash were all in its first two years. Luigi's Mansion 3 and New Horizons have only been ok. Let's hope botw2 releases this year!
it's pretty much why i hate that nintendo is soo successful right now.  i'd be more than happy for them if they were doing great things but they've had a massive drought for a year now and their next "big" game is yet another port.   it annoys me soo much that they can be rewarded soo much for being such a garbage developer.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

Feb 01, 2021, 07:18 PM Last Edit: Feb 01, 2021, 07:33 PM by Xevross

Lite has sold 13.5m, regular 66.3m.

Yeah, 2017 was as good as 2018-2020 combined for Switch imo. It's been rather meh after an amazing start. Noteworthy Switch games for me:

2017:

BOTW
MK8D
M+R: KB
SMO

2018-2020:

LM3
SSBU
Pokemon S/S
RFA
ACNH

BOTW, SMO and MK8D are the three best games on Switch.

BananaKing

Switch success has always baffled me. 27 million in one year? Honestly, I cant make sense of it.

What games does this console have. Compared to PS4 and even XB1 the amount of quality games is nothing. Specially to PS4.