Procedural RPG OT: every action has consequences

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, Apr 20, 2019, 09:02 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Kinda making a nature survival sim lol. Everything alive needs food and water to stay alive. That way you could wage war by burning farms or damning rivers.

Not sure how I want to handle this though. I need a function that finds all objects that an animal is aware of. I guess I should just set it up to do it based on just visuals, and then again on just smell, and so on as needed.

I'm also thinking of using the inventory system for "everything." A backpack can hold a few pots just like a town can hold a few houses. Sorting things like that would make it easy to know stuff too.

If you are in a city, then you know of everything top level (unless it is hidden or small). There is no movement within a city or layout to a city. If a building is an open air cart, then you would also know what is in it.

The person is always either inside a specific building or outside without a specific location. Larger cities could have districts to split them up.

So either an item is inside nothing and has an xy position on the world map, or it is packed inside a parent object with zero information about the location inside.

(Some objects could have multiple places to store items, such as a human having a left hand and a right hand)

Inventory is mostly like the forum rpg. Containers have a max xyz per item and a total limit on weight. I think the amount of items should be limited in some way too. A hand can't hold 500 gold pieces for example. Putting gold in a bag should be encouraged.