Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Dr. Pezus

MiB 27% on RT after 114 reviews. Big yikes there, let's see how badly it flops. Projection from the studio is $30m (already very low, first three were all $51-55m).

On the other end of the spectrum, Toy Story 4 reviews are dropping and so far its at a very solid 100% after 56 reviews! Pre-sales were falling a bit slower but maybe this will speed them back up a bit, either way still looking good for a ~$150m debut (compared to $110m for TS3).
Very solid 100% lol

Xevross

Jun 14, 2019, 11:27 PM Last Edit: Jun 14, 2019, 11:34 PM by Xevross
Early weekend numbers are saying MiB $25m (massive ouch) and Dark Phoenix looking at a 77% drop second weekend. That's an utterly dire second weekend if it holds, we're talking near all time worst drop for a blockbuster film.

SLOP2 also looking at a bad -57% second weekend (that's very bad for a kids film apparently), Godzilla still falling off a cliff. Only films still pulling in decent numbers that are holding well are Rocketman and Aladdin, but those numbers are getting fairly low now as well.

Path looks to be clear for Toy Story 4. Box office guys are starting to joke with "Mickey's Law" describing this year's BO. You can guess what it means.

Silver lining for MiB is apparently they 'only' need a ~$300m WW gross due to smart budgeting. That being said, it might miss even that mark at this rate...

the-pi-guy

Avatar's original run was $2,749,064,328.  

Endgame is sitting at $2,742,943,570.

Nice.  

Xevross

Avatar's original run was $2,749,064,328.  

Endgame is sitting at $2,742,943,570.

Nice.  
Yeah Endgame is gonna win the original run race, shame its gonna fall just short overall though. Only hope is for Disney to really push for it, which probably won't happening considering they've got a few other big films to worry about.

the-pi-guy

Yeah Endgame is gonna win the original run race, shame its gonna fall just short overall though. Only hope is for Disney to really push for it, which probably won't happening considering they've got a few other big films to worry about.
Yeah...
Avatar 2: "the sequel to the biggest movie ever"

Xevross

Legend

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/06/19/avengers-endgame-theatrical-re-release-extra-footage-kevin-feige/

The plot thickens!
That ain't what I meant at all :P
Well that will at least end the debate on if Avatar's second run should count.

Wonder how much Disney will push it.

Xevross

Jun 19, 2019, 05:44 PM Last Edit: Jun 19, 2019, 05:49 PM by Xevross
Well that will at least end the debate on if Avatar's second run should count.

Wonder how much Disney will push it.
Yeah this could be as small as adding another few mil WW only or it could blow up and add $50m+. Apparently it may just be an end credits scene or two and comicbook.com were just clickbaiting, that probably wouldn't do it.

Edit: apparently its 6 mins extra

Xevross

Spidey twitter reactions will go live in 2 and a half hours. Some teasers have cropped up already, apparently there's a "mindblowing" twist and some great crowd pleasing moments. I'm excited.

Dr. Pezus

Spidey twitter reactions will go live in 2 and a half hours. Some teasers have cropped up already, apparently there's a "mindblowing" twist and some great crowd pleasing moments. I'm excited.
The twist is that the apparent good guy is a villain like in everything else lulz, I guess

Xevross

The twist is that the apparent good guy is a villain like in everything else lulz, I guess
I doubt it given the buzz around it.

Xevross

Xevross

Jun 22, 2019, 12:17 PM Last Edit: Jun 22, 2019, 12:19 PM by Xevross
Toy Story 4 is opening... fine, although yet another disappointment compared to expectations this summer. Perhaps people are spent up after Aladdin and Endgame and are waiting to spend their money on certain films like TLK and Spidey. Disney have definitely screwed themselves slightly with so many similar films in such a short frame this year, I reckon one or two should have moved to next year (which is barren in comparison for the mouse).

$45-48m friday incl. $12m previews means its gonna land around the same opening as TS3 way back in 2010 domestically (~$110m). Tracking was saying $140m+ with some thinking a new animated record was possible ($180m+). With some good OS openers like Argentina where it set a new OD record, but some underperformers compared to TS3 like UK, I wonder if this will hit $1b after all. Should be another fun one to follow.

Meanwhile Aladdin just keeps on flying and may well be heading to $1b after all. Legs are just phenomenal everywhere, Japan and South Korea in particular where its looking to make $100m and $75m respectively.

Xevross

Aladdin seems possibly more likely to hit $1b than Toy Story 4 right now, didn't think I'd be saying that. For record breaking sake I hope both of them hit it, but its gonna be a nailbiter.

Legend

I watched the old movie Sphere. Was interesting. I need to watch more movies like that.

Go Up