Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

I follow movie performance's here by reading xevx comments lol. He just gives the full picture.

Glad to see solo bombing! Yaaay for no starwars!

I gotta say, I get Disney didn't anticipate Starwars going this way back when they purchased it. TFA certainly did huge numbers. Rogue one did great for a spin off.  But TLJ and Solo have now under performed. And EA has released just two star wars games, the first under delivered critically, the second bombed critically and sold much less than anticipated.

EA also cancelled a starwars game, and after 5 years just Dice released a game when it seemed all thier studios have been working on a project at some point.

Other than the MMO, EA has also yet to release their own starwars sub genre. Battlefront was there long ago and it was created by EA.

After so much emphasis on Starwars by EA the last few years they have so little to show for it.

Thanks! I do usually leave out smaller films though.

For example, you probably have no idea that A Quiet Place has performed phenomenally well this year. It has passed $300m off a $17m budget with incredible legs.

Maybe I should post the full weekend charts here too, I'll probably do that starting this weekend :P

Yeah you're right, the star wars brand as a whole has only gotten worse over the last couple of years. They need to turn this around ASAP otherwise it will become just another movie franchise, rather than THE franchise.

Xevross

Man I just realised that Solo really doesn't have much of a chance of making $500m. If it gets Rogue One legs it will reach about $515m, but here's some reasons why that is very unlikely.

• Rogue One was a better film - critically and in the view of the general audience (RO got an A Cinemascore, Solo got A-)
  • Rogue One opened at the start of Christmas - there's very little competition there and much more holidays for it to do well in
  • Rogue One opened late in China - so its $69m China total was all after the OW. If you line up RO's China launch, then RO legs gets Solo to $462m instead.

Now I guess SW fans ignoring Solo in its first week gives it a chance at better legs, as they go and see it later. So I think optimistically it could reach that $460m, although that's probably the high end for it now.

Dr. Pezus

Man I just realised that Solo really doesn't have much of a chance of making $500m. If it gets Rogue One legs it will reach about $515m, but here's some reasons why that is very unlikely.

• Rogue One was a better film - critically and in the view of the general audience (RO got an A Cinemascore, Solo got A-)
  • Rogue One opened at the start of Christmas - there's very little competition there and much more holidays for it to do well in
  • Rogue One opened late in China - so its $69m China total was all after the OW. If you line up RO's China launch, then RO legs gets Solo to $462m instead.

Now I guess SW fans ignoring Solo in its first week gives it a chance at better legs, as they go and see it later. So I think optimistically it could reach that $460m, although that's probably the high end for it now.
Another positive for Solo is that there's nothing coming out in the next two months or so, until Jurassic Park

Legend

I follow movie performance's here by reading xevx comments lol. He just gives the full picture.

Glad to see solo bombing! Yaaay for no starwars!

I gotta say, I get Disney didn't anticipate Starwars going this way back when they purchased it. TFA certainly did huge numbers. Rogue one did great for a spin off.  But TLJ and Solo have now under performed. And EA has released just two star wars games, the first under delivered critically, the second bombed critically and sold much less than anticipated.

EA also cancelled a starwars game, and after 5 years just Dice released a game when it seemed all thier studios have been working on a project at some point.

Other than the MMO, EA has also yet to release their own starwars sub genre. Battlefront was there long ago and it was created by EA.

After so much emphasis on Starwars by EA the last few years they have so little to show for it.

Wonder if respawn's Star Wars game will be announced at E3.

Xevross

Another positive for Solo is that there's nothing coming out in the next two months or so, until Jurassic Park
Um, well no. Jurassic World is releasing early overseas (i.e. starting next week in some places), so that will cut short Solo's overseas legs. Incredibles 2 is launching in a couple of weeks time in the US and some other places too. Those two will almost certainly be the top two films of the Summer (not counting IW), so yeah. Its not good for Solo.

Dr. Pezus

Um, well no. Jurassic World is releasing early overseas (i.e. starting next week in some places), so that will cut short Solo's overseas legs. Incredibles 2 is launching in a couple of weeks time in the US and some other places too. Those two will almost certainly be the top two films of the Summer (not counting IW), so yeah. Its not good for Solo.
The fudge. Boxofficemojo misled me.

'Solo' isn't Flying So High, Delivering Soft Memorial Day Weekend Debut - Box Office Mojo

Oh it was a month and not two

Xevross

Also New York Times reported that with marketing included Solo cost about $400m. With a $450m gross that's gonna roughly be a $175m loss from the theatrical run. With digital, blu-ray, merch and TV deals it might just sneak into the black, but its definitely not making any money.

The fudge. Boxofficemojo misled me.

'Solo' isn't Flying So High, Delivering Soft Memorial Day Weekend Debut - Box Office Mojo

Oh it was a month and not two
Yeah and JW2 is releasing a couple weeks early in many places overseas. Not sure why BOM are ignoring Incredibles 2 though.

Xevross

May 29, 2018, 06:01 PM Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 06:12 PM by Xevross
Disney reported Solo's overseas weekend as $68m, which is up $3m rather than the reduction I was expecting. It seems they're kind of cheating though, and including Monday from some places like the UK - as it was a monday holiday so technically still the holiday weekend I guess. Means tuesday's overseas won't be good though :P

Solo had a good monday hold in the US, IW had a fantastic monday.

Here's the US weekend chart (3-day):

TWLWTitle (click to view)StudioWeekend Gross% ChangeTheater Count ChangeAverageTotal GrossBudget
1NSolo: A Star Wars StoryBV$84,751,000-4,381-$19,345$84,751,000-1
21Deadpool 2Fox$43,450,000-65.4%4,349-$9,991$208,157,352$1102
32Avengers: Infinity WarBV$17,435,000-40.8%3,768-234$4,627$622,629,638-5
43Book ClubPar.$10,075,000-25.8%2,810+29$3,585$32,459,516-2
54Life of the PartyWB (NL)$5,335,000-29.8%2,937-719$1,816$39,322,348-3
65Breaking In (2018)Uni.$4,280,000-37.3%1,985-552$2,156$35,869,385$63
76Show DogsGlobal Road$3,267,165-45.8%3,212-$1,017$10,861,890-2
87Overboard (2018)PNT$3,173,000-31.4%1,196-624$2,653$41,667,413-4
98A Quiet PlacePar.$2,415,000-38.8%1,524-803$1,585$180,178,607$178
1012RBGMagn.$1,260,303+0.6%415+40$3,037$5,776,941-4

Hm seems like copy/ pasting the BOM chart is a bit weird, the last column is the # of weeks the film has been out.

Infinity War has also overtaken The Last Jedi domestically, and after this weekend looks set to settle just above Titanic at #4 of all time (below Black Panther).

Xevross

May 29, 2018, 09:55 PM Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:04 PM by Xevross
BOM updated and indeed the $69.7m Disney reported is the 4 day overseas total (incl. Monday). The actual opening weekend was $63m, which was down from estimates. Makes sense now. You have to laugh though, Disney sneaking that extra $6m in there to make it look better.

Also wait that means the overseas monday was only $6.7m. Oh god that's hilariously awful.

Just as a nice little comparison, Infinity War's first overseas monday gross was $60.3m, after a $382m OW. Early signs of bad legs for Solo.

Legend

@Xevross

off topic, but is it weird for you to call the UK overseas?

Xevross

@Xevross

off topic, but is it weird for you to call the UK overseas?
Nah I'm just used to using it as a box office term, isn't weird at all.

Xevross

Battle of the titans.

By titans I mean titanic flops.

Legend

I watched the belko experiment.

Xevross

May 31, 2018, 03:53 PM Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 03:55 PM by Xevross
Oof it gets worse for Solo. Wednesday dropped 35% from Tuesday to 4.8m, which is the worst out of all the recent films to launch on memorial day weekend. Far from legs saving it from embarrassment, legs are actually even worse than expected.

BananaKing

Oof it gets worse for Solo. Wednesday dropped 35% from Tuesday to 4.8m, which is the worst out of all the recent films to launch on memorial day weekend. Far from legs saving it from embarrassment, legs are actually even worse than expected
Great news!

Go Up