Will streaming crash?

Started by the-pi-guy, Jul 12, 2019, 04:11 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Netflix is still the biggest streaming right now, but tons of companies are jumping in with their own streaming service.  

It doesn't seem likely that the market can handle so much fragmentation.  
Will the fragmentation stop, will movies come to multiple services anyways, is it actually sustainable?  

Legend

A bit, yeah. Netflix rose to power partly because all the content owners sold shows/videos for cheap. Nowadays it costs a heck of a lot more to buy content for a streaming service and the majority of the companies are having to focus on their own content. Disney's streaming service will be fine, companies with huge backlogs will be fine, but I think general service streamers like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon will die out for a while. We could maybe see them selling their original content on other services if they can't keep enough subscribers.

Legend

Lol I just got Netflix again.

kitler53

i don't think so.  i think with this flurish of new serives it is cable that will suffer more. it is still cheaper to buy internet and 4 streaming services than basic cable/internet (at least here in chicago).  and streaming is far more convient than cable too.

i think lots of the individual services will fail though.  things like sling tv i can't imagine has a bright future. netflix and disney+ will be the big 2. amazon feels safe because lots of people only get it for free shipping anyways.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Jul 14, 2019, 01:49 AM Last Edit: Jul 14, 2019, 02:00 AM by the-pi-guy
Not related to the above, but Netflix has the best UI.

Prime has issues like separate seasons are listed as separate titles.  

Hulu has issues where different languages are listed as different episodes, it's harder than it should be to get to a different episode.

A bit, yeah. Netflix rose to power partly because all the content owners sold shows/videos for cheap. Nowadays it costs a heck of a lot more to buy content for a streaming service and the majority of the companies are having to focus on their own content. Disney's streaming service will be fine, companies with huge backlogs will be fine, but I think general service streamers like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon will die out for a while. We could maybe see them selling their original content on other services if they can't keep enough subscribers.
I think Netflix is big enough that it'll be fine.  
As kitler said, Amazon will be fine because most people get it for shipping.  

Hulu is a question mark.  Disney taking control of it, I wonder if they will combine Hulu and Disney+ or something.

The company specific services is where I feel there's more questions.

The less successful ones might decide streaming isn't worth it, or they might decide to let Netflix/other stream their movies/shows anyways.

NeverDies

I'm just waiting for an ISP to own a streaming service, and then slow down any others.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Legend

I'm just waiting for an ISP to own a streaming service, and then slow down any others.
Kinda already happens with mobile.

kitler53

thank god trump killed the fair internet so that this bright future may come to pass!!  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens