Bet on PS4.5

Started by Legend, Mar 21, 2016, 07:09 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Official thread of beating!

We have three things to bet on.

Power: how strong the new PS4 will be compared to the current, and how will this extra power be used
Price: how much will the new PS4 cost at release
Release: when is this thing releasing

Closest person gets $5,000.

Aura7541

Mar 21, 2016, 07:14 PM Last Edit: Mar 21, 2016, 10:37 PM by Aura7541
Power: Will have greater VR capabilities, i.e. will not need the breakout PSVR box. It will also have HDMI 2.0, a 4K Bluray drive, and hardware-based 4K upscaling. There won't be much of a CPU/GPU upgrade, if at all. Target audience will be 4K enthusiasts/4K TV owners.

Price: $100 greater than standard PS4.

Release: Holiday 2016

Legend

Power: stronger, faster, better. Games tend to have somewhat better framerate if unlocked, and they also load somewhat faster. Will also allow games to output in 4K although of course most games wont. Will not affect VR.

Price: $400

Release: June 2016.

Legend

Can I change my bet?

PS4K AND PS4K.5 are happening.

PS4k

Power: essentially zero upgrade. It is simply a slim PS4 that has updated components and now supports 4K media. It replaces the current PS4.

Price: $349

Release: Right after announcement at E3. It's a slim model.

PS4k.5

Power: essentially four PS4s. It's a highly upgraded unit designed for the elite/PC/4k market. Almost all games will be automatically rendered at higher resolution, and most games will render at 4K. Devs are insisted to patch old games and release new games with official 4k settings.

Price: $800

Release: November 2016.

We have two conflicting reports coming out on the PS4k, and it's quite strange to me that this is so public yet there's still so much misinformation. I think the logical conclusion is that both systems have been merged together in the rumor mill.

Aura7541

Mar 22, 2016, 06:56 PM Last Edit: Mar 22, 2016, 08:43 PM by Aura7541
Yeah, I think it's fine. Sony might not reveal it until E3, so let's say bets can be changed until 24 hours before Sony's conference. I want to change my prediction, as well :P

Prediction

Power: HDMI 2.0, 4K Bluray drive, and hardware-based 4K upscaling. There won't be much of a CPU/GPU upgrade, if at all. Target audience will be 4K enthusiasts/4K TV owners. Additional perks may be added such as 802.11ac WiFi, USB 3.1, and SATA III. None of the changes will affect VR.

Price: $100 greater than standard PS4.

Release: Holiday 2016

the-pi-guy

Based on Zoetis:

Power: 30% more, same assets, but supports 4K rendering.  
Price: 349$
Release:  October 2016.

kitler53

Power: no additional power
Release: this holiday
Price: $4,000.

Other: ps4k will have a limited release of 4,000 units and each unit will prominently display on the cover its release # to clearly display to others that you spent a lot of money on this ps4 and therefore are a rich person that all should envy.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Power: no additional power
Release: this holiday
Price: $4,000.

Other: ps4k will have a limited release of 4,000 units and each unit will prominently display on the cover its release # to clearly display to others that you spent a lot of money on this ps4 and therefore are a rich person that all should envy.

My PS4 is number 2518. It's a great fact to bring up at parties.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Based on Zoetis:

Power: 30% more, same assets, but supports 4K rendering.  
Price: 349$
Release:  October 2016.
4k st 10 fps?

the-pi-guy

4k st 10 fps?
4k at 30 fps.  

Higher resolutions aren't necessarily a linear progression.  
They could also do some upscaling.  

Legend

Lowering price guess for upgraded system to $600.

Holly frick is there a lot of smoke for this fire.