Banner Saga dev: Apple is frustrated people don't want to pay for mobile apps

Started by Legend, Jul 27, 2014, 10:12 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/24/5931351/why-banner-saga-is-avoiding-the-budget-price-pitfall-of-the-app-store

They'll spend $600 on an iPad, and $4 on a coffee, drop $20 on lunch, but when it comes to spending four or five dollars on a game, it's this life-altering decision. I'm frustrated with that too.

Much more at the link.

Legend

Personally I hate smartphone gaming and the mobile market. There are great games that exist out there, but it just doesn't feel healthy for the industry.

Either smartphone gaming needs to fix this 'mentality' or it will die.

ethomaz

I tried to play on smartphones but the only genre that works is Puzzle.

darkknightkryta

Greedy devs paved their own graves.  Every game I've tried to get for my phone has me paying to recharge my meter to keep on playing.  The faster those start loosing money, the faster better games start getting made.  I mean, look at EA.  They put together a "decent" Dead Space and a very good Mass Effect.  What did they follow those up with?  A poorly executed recharge Dragon Age game.

Dr. Pezus

I tried to play on smartphones but the only genre that works is Puzzle.

Helloooo, endless runners?

ethomaz

Helloooo, endless runners?

Yeap... it works too but I don't like :D

7H3

meh mobile gaming isn't really my thing which is why I don't have a portable gaming device like a 3ds or vita... shield is appealing to me though as I can run emulators and play them effectively... I do think mobile gaming will grow as it captures the youth and casual markets like consoles and PC's will not be able to do nearly as well. Spending 4-5 bucks or more on an app does seem steep when there are plenty of free games.
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

the-pi-guy

I think this happens for a few reasons. 
-A lot of devs went for the facebook model for mobile gaming.  That free to play model. 
-A lot of competition: many of which are available for free. 

And a few other reasons.