Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

Feb 19, 2018, 07:51 AM Last Edit: Feb 19, 2018, 08:50 AM by Xevross
So apparently BP is in the brink of taking the all time Sunday gross record from TFA, which means it's looking at a 3 day weekend of around $202m. dang it just keeps getting crazier.

Edit: so the four day estimates have increased to $241-243m with this. Which would put it above TLJ for the four day total, as #2 of all time. Insane.

Dr. Pezus

So apparently BP is in the brink of taking the all time Sunday gross record from TFA, which means it's looking at a 3 day weekend of around $202m. dang it just keeps getting crazier.

Edit: so the four day estimates have increased to $241-243m with this. Which would put it above TLJ for the four day total, as #2 of all time. Insane.
The fudge happened with this movie?

Overseas numbers are modest in comparison

BananaKing

The fudge happened with this movie?

Overseas numbers are modest in comparison
apparently they pushed the race card here and its getting people to watch it. as if this is the first movie to ever have a black lead. smart marketing if you ask me.

Xevross

Yep ^^ very smart marketing and it is a truly great film. It's doing just better than average MCU overseas (in most places, although UK and South Korea are very high) but the story is resonating with a lot of blacks in America.

I think something like 37% of the audience is black, contributing over $90 to the domestic gross. If you compare black and white population, that's like white people pushing a film to an almost $400m opening, which has obviously never happened.

Dr. Pezus

Do you think it could top last jedi? Globally

Xevross

There is a very real chance. You would have laughed if you heard that a few months ago.

If I was to bet I'd say it'll fall a bit short, but Black Panther seems to continuously be exceeding all expectations.

TLJ is at $1.326bn rn, and won't finish much higher than that. It had an opening 3 day weekend of $450m worldwide, and Black Panther is looking at around $370-380m, and will have a much bigger monday. So with better legs, BP can make it.

BananaKing

i doubt it. i doubt it will have the legs to do so. the surge in interest for this movie seems to be about the race of the actors, and i doubt that will help legs as much as it was genuine interest in the movie or character.

Xevross

Disney confirmed a $60.1m Sunday for Black Panther. Only $400k behind TFA's all time record. That puts the three day at $201.8m. Its probably going to be close to the all time Monday record now (which is $40.1m from TFA).

Legend

Do we know if Marvel was planning a direct sequel? Sure seems it'll be happening now.

Xevross

Do we know if Marvel was planning a direct sequel? Sure seems it'll be happening now.
Well there's plenty of Black Panther comics to go off, and without spoiling the comics, T'Challa is a/ the major Avenger going forward, so they almost certainly were already planning a sequel.

Now they're probably fast tracking it and planning for BP in more films.

Xevross

i doubt it. i doubt it will have the legs to do so. the surge in interest for this movie seems to be about the race of the actors, and i doubt that will help legs as much as it was genuine interest in the movie or character.
Well also word of mouth is going to be a big help, since it is a great movie. I think black people are especially loving it. The legs are going to be interesting to watch, but I hope they're good enough for the MCU's fourth $1bn film.

Also it seems BP is performing phenomenally in the US today. It could very well set a new all time monday record.

Dr. Pezus

Feb 19, 2018, 11:37 PM Last Edit: Feb 19, 2018, 11:42 PM by Dr. Pez
Well also word of mouth is going to be a big help, since it is a great movie. I think black people are especially loving it. The legs are going to be interesting to watch, but I hope they're good enough for the MCU's fourth $1bn film.

Also it seems BP is performing phenomenally in the US today. It could very well set a new all time monday record.
Oh it'll definitely top 1b

Oh and it has risen on imdb to 7.9

Xevross

Black panther took the all time Monday record from the force awakens, which was considered TFA's most impressive record.

Now #2 of all time after 4 days, above TLJ

Dr. Pezus

Black panther took the all time Monday record from the force awakens, which was considered TFA's most impressive record.

Now #2 of all time after 4 days, above TLJ
Craycray

Legend

As long as it doesn't beat Avatar long term  ::)

Go Up