PlayStation laying off 900 employees, closing London Studio

Started by the-pi-guy, Feb 27, 2024, 02:16 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

In the UK, it is proposed:  
That PlayStation Studios' London Studio will close in its entirety;
That there will be reductions in Firesprite studio;  
And that there will be reductions in various functions across SIE in the UK.

kitler53

so this will get games to release faster right?

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

I can't imagine throwing a party for your boss, only to get laid off a week later.

nnodley

ugh its only going to get worse. Thats what, 6k to 7k layoffs across the industry just this year alone?

Legend

That sucks. Was London studio making a new vr game?

Horizon

The UK games industry is not in a good place apart from R* North and Playground games.

the-pi-guy

No a live service game

Horizon

This GAAS pivot was always going to be a difficult and painful one but its evident they might have gone a bit too hard into GAAS.

kitler53

we got this a while back:

coop and GaaS and that concept art is all we know about it afaik.

i'll assume with the studio closing that the game is canceled.   i liked the concept art at least.   

the-pi-guy

Feb 27, 2024, 03:58 PM Last Edit: Feb 27, 2024, 03:59 PM by the-pi-guy

image.png

Kind of seems to back the idea that Firesprite is having trouble getting their games off the ground too.

kitler53

ugh.   

sony looks to have shame the bed with ps5.   it's been an okay gen i guess but it's been taking ages to get anything out the door.   i swear we've heard of more cancellations than actual games in the last 2 years.

SWORDF1SH

Sony's live service dream is over. Didn't even give it a chance.

the-pi-guy

A few studios are still working on them.

Guerilla, Firewalk, Haven Studio, Bungie.

Legend

Yeah I expected these games to have trouble post release where only a few find long term success.

Instead it looks like only a few will even make it to release.

ugh.  

sony looks to have shame the bed with ps5.   it's been an okay gen i guess but it's been taking ages to get anything out the door.   i swear we've heard of more cancellations than actual games in the last 2 years.
I blamed a lot of it on the pandemic but it looks like Sony is making big mistakes too.

Wonder what Herman Hulst's roll in all of this is. Going from Killzone to Horizon was brilliant in so many ways and I expected other studios to replicate that. Instead we're stuck with stuff like this.

nnodley

seems the live service stuff was the biggest blunder. Sony had so much success with single player story games that I don't really understand the super hard push to live service. I understand the money aspect and growth, but there really isn't that many live service games that make a big impact.  There's just not that many success stories for this kind of push.