Why did no one warn me that Rime is this bad?

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, Dec 02, 2019, 11:51 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Is Rime that colourful puzzle game?

>Instead of it being a genre redefining indie game

Who said it was genre defining?  

I vaguely remember there being a lot of excitement when the game was shown off, and then there was disappointment when the game actually launched.  
Pre launch was the only time it had major hype but it still has like an 80 on metacritic.

This game so far feels way worse than that.

disappointment came long before the game released,.. at least for me.  when sony sold the game's publishing rights back to tequila works we all knew something must be wrong with the game.  game then came out about a year later with a new publisher to mediocre reviews.  sony gave it away as part of ps+ so i think i may get around to trying it one of these days but i'm not expecting much.
That's kinda how I felt too but the gameplay is just so bland. I expected something interesting at least but instead it's just very "casual."

"Oh no, a pig is blocking your path! Turn around and grab a vegetable to distract the pig!"

I can tell that most of these bad puzzles are being used to set players up for slightly more complex interactions later on but it doesn't feel good at all.

"Oh no, a door in front of you is locked! Just grab the key directly in front of the door to unlock it!"

It feels like they never want players to have to think. Only 1.5 puzzles so far have had any sort of puzzleyness to them beyond "you need to notice the thing we are drawing attention to."

I wonder how development went with this game. I'll try to find some interviews after I finish it since I'd completely understand if this version of the game was hacked together after Sony dropped out.