Nintendo's FY 2013 Results are in: Net Loss $240m; WiiU 2.7m, 3DS 12.2m

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 07, 2014, 12:22 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

While everyone has been dooming the wii u, the 3ds has also started to have its issues.

It'd be interesting if kart saves the wii u and all the doom and gloom transfered back to 3ds.

Dr. Pezus

While everyone has been dooming the wii u, the 3ds has also started to have its issues.

It'd be interesting if kart saves the wii u and all the doom and gloom transfered back to 3ds.

Did you see my thread where I asked if 3DS could pass PSP lifetime sales? Most people raged at me, said it was only a matter of when, not if. Now I'd say there's almost zero chance of that happening.

7H3

ehh I don't really care for handhelds, but am seriously considering getting a vita or 2ds for my son...
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Legend

Did you see my thread where I asked if 3DS could pass PSP lifetime sales? Most people raged at me, said it was only a matter of when, not if. Now I'd say there's almost zero chance of that happening.

I missed that thread but I'd believe it.

Almost everyone thought the 3DS was selling a bazillion.

7H3

With phones and tablets the handheld console market is great shrinking

darkknightkryta

I missed that thread but I'd believe it.

Almost everyone thought the 3DS was selling a bazillion.

Everyone is still thinking the 3DS is selling a bazillion.

Legend

Everyone is still thinking the 3DS is selling a bazillion.

I think most Nintendo fans now put it at just 100 million.

darkknightkryta

I think most Nintendo fans now put it at just 100 million.

;D

7H3

How many units did pokemon sell? New one on the way could see similar boost on top of ssb and mario kart

Dr. Pezus

How many units did pokemon sell? New one on the way could see similar boost on top of ssb and mario kart

It's sold about 12m already. Yeah, they will milk their big IPs all they can now. Wouldn't be surprised to see another MK soon after 8

7H3

so potentially what maybe an extra 30m with those 3 big IP's on 2/3ds

BananaKing

Well the biggest problem is that Nintendo's solution is to throw more Mario at the problem.  It's sort of worked for them the past 30 years.  But it's not gonna work anymore.  I agree Nintendo needs new blood.  Or rather, they need a better NA division.  Making Retro work on another Donkey Kong is probably the worst decision they've made these past few years.  Nintendo needs new creation, not sequels.

it actually never worked for them in recent gens. it didnt work for the N64, it didnt work for the gamecube. the gameboy sold because of pokemon, as well as the gameboy advanced. the DS sold because of pokemon and nintendo dogs, the dual screens and such. the Wii sold because of motion controls and Wii sports. Mario just rode the hype wave for those systems.

i firmly believe that now Mario sells based on the current platform total sales. Wii sold gagbusters? so mario sold a lot. mario is the kind of game you pick up if you already have the console. not the kind of game people pick up a console for (talking about the average consumer, not nintendo's dedicated fanbase). if mario released on playstation, wouldnt you pick it up? Mario bros on Wii sold 27+ million. it will sell what on the WiiU, 6 or 7 million with some massive bundling? same with the DS version, sold almost 30M. it will sell like 10 million on 3DS. a massive drop in user base results in a massive drop for game sales.

in comparison look at GTA sales, it has similar sales, but is consistant. GTA vice city sold what, 22 million? san andreas 27 million? GTA4 25 million and now GTA5 32 million. they always post mega sales because its a tittle that people feel that they need to play, mario simply isnt anymore.

7H3

The new mario game on wii U does look cool, but I agree I don't really see it as a system seller. they need to do something more innovative with the title that could redefine platformers

Go Up