previous topic - next topic

Go Down

nnodley

Xevross

There's lights!

nnodley

Jun 07, 2018, 06:24 PM Last Edit: Jun 07, 2018, 06:36 PM by nnodley
There's lights!
Yep! Just simple cylinders with emissive.  I want to get them to look more like webs flowing around inside.   The idea is it's dark matter pulled into our physical world and it has an emissive property to it so they are used as lights in areas.  In the stand thingy it's using the dark matter to power a teleporter a farther on the path that will essentially start the larger area of the game.  But focusing on this area for now.

Also the dark matter in my universe has to be contained to be seen.  If it would be able to spill out of anything like a crack it would disintegrate into smoke and disappear.

Here's a shot looking the opposite way towards where the portal will be.

Xevross

Yep! Just simple cylinders with emissive.  I want to get them to look more like webs flowing around inside.   The idea is it's dark matter pulled into our physical world and it has an emissive property to it so they are used as lights in areas.  In the stand thingy it's using the dark matter to power a teleporter a farther on the path that will essentially start the larger area of the game.  But focusing on this area for now.

Also the dark matter in my universe has to be contained to be seen.  If it would be able to spill out of anything like a crack it would disintegrate into smoke and disappear.

Here's a shot looking the opposite way towards where the portal will be.
That sounds awesome. Is there any reason you chose dark matter in particular?

That's beautiful  :o

nnodley

Jun 07, 2018, 07:15 PM Last Edit: Jun 07, 2018, 07:21 PM by nnodley
That sounds awesome. Is there any reason you chose dark matter in particular?

That's beautiful  :o
Mostly I chose it because there isn't a lot known about it so I can take a lot of liberty's and creative freedom with it to do my own thing and not be hindered by real world science.  Though I want to have some of that in my universe as well, but I like the idea of having a lot of freedom to work with.  Like I myself believe current scifi elements are super angular and have so many unnecessary details that are only their to give a futuristic look.  A lot of my man made stuff is going to have a sleek/modern vibe, but hopefully feel futuristic as well.  

Also because not much is known about dark matter its used as a basis and used for all the technology in my universe since I can get away with it since no ones knows what(if it ever gets fully discovered and studied) it can be used for. Or if can at all.  Most of that sort of stuff will be revealed in this game through collectibles.  

There is also a twist to where dark matter comes from in my game that I'm hoping works out and is super cool.  But you will all have to play the game.

Xevross

Mostly I chose it because there isn't a lot known about it so I can take a lot of liberty's and creative freedom with it to do my own thing and not be hindered by real world science.  Though I want to have some of that in my universe as well, but I like the idea of having a lot of freedom to work with.  Like I myself believe current scifi elements are super angular and have so many unnecessary details that are only their to give a futuristic look.  A lot of my man made stuff is going to have a sleek/modern vibe, but hopefully feel futuristic as well.  

Also because not much is known about dark matter its used as a basis and used for all the technology in my universe since I can get away with it since no ones knows what(if it ever gets fully discovered and studied) it can be used for. Or if can at all.  Most of that sort of stuff will be revealed in this game through collectibles.  

There is also a twist to where dark matter comes from in my game that I'm hoping works out and is super cool.  But you will all have to play the game.
Yeah that's a great idea. We know a lot of what dark matter should be but its not like any physicist will write a paper about everything your game might have gotten wrong :P

Sounds cool!

Legend

Yeah that's a great idea. We know a lot of what dark matter should be but its not like any physicist will write a paper about everything your game might have gotten wrong :P

Sounds cool!
Never say never. Brian Greene might secretly be following the game already.

@noodle
Lights look great. Is that a glow effect or do you also have them lighting the scene?

nnodley

Jun 08, 2018, 02:40 AM Last Edit: Jun 08, 2018, 04:13 AM by nnodley
Never say never. Brian Greene might secretly be following the game already.

@noodle
Lights look great. Is that a glow effect or do you also have them lighting the scene?
Yeah it's just a simple shader with an emissive color and strength parameter.  I have it set to be a light source to cast light, but it's not working too well.  I think me using truesky has messed with how some things worked before I started using it.  Just need to play around with settings.

Oh also I don't even have to make my own LOD's!!  Unreal now has build in reduction settings for them.  All the rocks have 3 LOD's.  It's as simple as going into the mesh settings and turning the reduction settings down and telling it to favor the silhouette of the object and hit it apply and BAM it's done!!  Literally take 15 seconds to get 3 to 4 LOD's. 

nnodley

Also I tried my game in VR and it actually feels SOO GOOD!  It actually runs fairly well at ultra on my PC.  About 40fps, but I know it at the least needs to be 60fps.  I just wish we had 8k screens in VR headsets right now. It just looks so ugly cause of the lower res screen. But at the same time it looks pretty good too.

nnodley

Trying out some stuff to get more details into my ground meshes.  Working on a mud erosion with running water.  Saw something like this in the TLOU 2 gameplay and others and wanted to see if I could replicate it.   Super happy with it.

Let me know if the video doesn't work.  I set it to private since I don't really want anyone to see it since it's just a small thing. But I used the share link so hopefully it works.

the-pi-guy

Says unavailable.

nnodley

Says unavailable.
dang, well set it to public so it should be good hopefully.

nnodley

Working on getting a new area up and running.  Getting there.  Probably going to be the largest area out of all I hope to do.  I hope to be able to allow the player to go up ontop of the cliffs and have some more areas up there to explore. But need to figure that out a little bit.

Legend

Looking good. Is it Witness like with no jumping and you'd need a walkway/elevator or could you jump/climb to the top of the waterfall?

nnodley

Looking good. Is it Witness like with no jumping and you'd need a walkway/elevator or could you jump/climb to the top of the waterfall?
There will be jumping, but mostly just for being able to jump up small ledges here and there.  To get up to higher areas I'm looking at walkways/elevators.  This is likely to be the only area that will have higher verticality.  I kind of switched up the story of the area you will play at.  Its all still the same in terms of world and overall story, but this part is switched up.  There will be 4 areas to travel between not including the first area and a special one that is endgame(so 6 all together) and at each of these 4 areas is what I'm calling the Inter-dimensional Conduit.  It's a testing area for a new piece of technology at the time of them discovering it, but when you play the game it's a little bit farther in the future so it's actually an old technology.  

My main goal for the next couple months is to get a playable game from beginning to end minus having everything in content and asset wise.  So essentially go into Alpha stage by september.  I'm close but we will see if I get there by then.

Go Up