Animal Crossing is the worst game of 2020

Started by Legend, Mar 23, 2020, 04:15 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

The screwed up 1 island per switch rule is the worst thing I think I have ever seen in a game. The rest of the game is great but this is such a screw up.

For those that don't know, Animal Crossing can only be played by one person per switch. Everyone else is forced into a secondary mode with most of the features removed.

It's crazy. This took extra work by Nintendo and is closer to a malicious act than a cheap act. I have no idea how anyone involved with the game was ok with this.

Xevross

It is rather baffling and I do feel bad for you. Being a secondary character on an island must really suck in the early game. I imagine later on it won't matter as much when pretty much all you're doing is decorating and collecting but it'd still be annoying.

kitler53

i can tell you are really upset by this.   sorry.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

BananaKing

Are they doing this to try and make people buy a second switch? This is clearly a system seller  

Legend

Are they doing this to try and make people buy a second switch? This is clearly a system seller  
I wouldn't assume so but at the same time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It is rather baffling and I do feel bad for you. Being a secondary character on an island must really suck in the early game. I imagine later on it won't matter as much when pretty much all you're doing is decorating and collecting but it'd still be annoying.
It's semi random what secondary characters can and cannot do, but in general they are treated like NPCs. They are there to build their own house and stay out of the way for everything else.

Right now in my game for example I put down plots for three new residents. I need to craft a bunch of furniture for each plot before Tom can build the houses. When I walk up to a plot, it says what I need and lets me add items. When other players try to interact with them, they just say something like "this plot will soon be a house!"

I don't know if it's going to improve.

i can tell you are really upset by this.   sorry.
It seems lots and lots of people are upset by this so hopefully Nintendo can patch it out quickly.

I've just never experienced something this stupid before. Nintendo is a family focused company yet they managed to make the least family friendly game possible.

Legend

Resetera thread about this if you want more perspectives than just mine.

Important Warning about Animal Crossing: Nintendo please fix this | ResetEra

Before the influx of Animal Crossing defenders yell at me or trivialize why I'm so upset, please know this: I love this game and this franchise. I have purchased every Animal Crossing mainline game since the GameCube era and was so excited to purchase this game for my girlfriend and I to share an island together.

I jumped into the OT Discussion to clarify this issue before I started a thread. It turns out my worst fears were right and the OT has lots of other people asking the same question or shocked by the result, enough that it should warrant a separate topic (that hopefully catches more eyes).

Animal Crossing New Horizons punishes you for sharing an island on the same console.

High on the AC hype train, I was glued to this forum, I watched dozens of reviews and no one has mentioned this yet.
 In previous Animal Crossing games, sharing an island with someone meant that you were working together to share the experience and helping each other upgrade the island in various ways. In New Horizons, the second islander is now a glorified visitor.

As millions of people are, my girlfriend and I have been depressed and anxious during our quarantine but looking forward to sharing the Animal Crossing experience together. Because I happened to be the first person to start a new game:

- She doesn't seem to get new DIY recipes
 - She isn't asked to help upgrade the island
 - She isn't invited to participate in new projects
 - She cannot help me with my own island projects
 - She isn't even allowed to check in-progress projects to see what resources are needed.

Tom Nook literally tells her to ask me what I need.

This is really sad and destroys the backbone of what makes me love Animal Crossing. Very understandably, she's sad and losing interest. She may wait to save up for a second Switch (may be a while, we were hit financially by this mess) and start her own island or I'll just give up and start this over.

I was really looking forward to sharing an island with my girlfriend and building it together. I wish I had known that Nintendo did this.
 I really hope they fix it or at least give us the option to give our co-villagers the ability to share island responsibilities with us.

Nintendo please fix this.

Update:
super-famicom said:    Unfortunately, there's no way around this unless you buy another Switch and another copy of Animal Crossing. Second villager gets shafted so hard, they can't really do much except mine resources. Hopefully Nintendo can implement some kind of fix for this in the future, but I see a ton of people in this thread with the same issues.  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
Chrno said:    ya it's true - it's why the game is getting review bombed atm.  Click to expand... Click to shrink...