Red Dead Redemption 2 Achieves Biggest Weekend in Entertainment History with $725m Sell-Through Worldwide

Started by Xevross, Oct 30, 2018, 12:49 PM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

Rockstar GamesĀ® is proud to announce that the critically acclaimed Red Dead Redemption 2 has achieved the single-biggest opening weekend in the history of entertainment*. With over $725 million in worldwide retail sell-through during its first three days, Red Dead Redemption 2 is the second-highest grossing entertainment launch of all time next to Rockstar Games' previously released title, Grand Theft Auto V, which achieved over $1 billion in retail sell-through in three days.*

Red Dead Redemption 2's list of initial benchmarks include:

• Biggest opening weekend in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases;
  • Second biggest launch (three days) in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases;
  • Biggest entertainment launch of 2018;
  • Most pre-ordered full game ever on PlayStation Network;
  • Biggest day one full game sales ever on PlayStation Network;
  • Biggest first three days full game sales ever on PlayStation Network.

*Red Dead Redemption 2 launched on a Friday so that its 'opening weekend' (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) is the same as its first three days, while Grand Theft Auto V launched on a Tuesday.

Xevross

the-pi-guy

Xevross

I really wanna know if digital is high in the UK or if the UK is just being really shame.

BananaKing

Holly fudge. That's huge. Massive.

Was CoD's 500 million sell through or sell in?

Rockstar are going to piss money from this game. This game might end up being the biggest game of the generation which released this gen (basically after GTA5).

Xevross

Holly fudge. That's huge. Massive.

Was CoD's 500 million sell through or sell in?

Rockstar are going to piss money from this game. This game might end up being the biggest game of the generation which released this gen (basically after GTA5).
COD was sell through as well, so this is 45% bigger than COD's launch.

Well it certainly is according to reviewers. I'm thinking its up there, it still has a chance at beating Horizon and God of War for me. GOTG will be BOTW for me though.

Legend

Kinda funny they used the weekend to make it beat GTAV. Just saying it had the secend largest launch of anything ever wouldn't be impressive enough lol.

Amazing job. I wonder if Red Dead will now be a regular Rockstar megahitter like GTA. New game every gen.

the-pi-guy

Kinda funny they used the weekend to make it beat GTAV. Just saying it had the secend largest launch of anything ever wouldn't be impressive enough lol.
My thoughts exactly.  

BananaKing

Amazing job. I wonder if Red Dead will now be a regular Rockstar megahitter like GTA. New game every gen.

I don't know if rockstar is fast enough now to get a game out every gen lol. It seems GTA6 is gonna skip a gen. That might happen to RDR. But I think that it's gonna be "regular rockstar megahitter" going forward

Dr. Pezus

I really wanna know if digital is high in the UK or if the UK is just being really shame.
UK sales have been really terribly correlated with the rest of the world this year

Xevross

Entirely depends on how RDRO income compares to GTAO. I think they're going to struggle to keep RDRO as fresh, since they lack technology to do crazy shame like they did in GTA. We'll see though.

Legend

Entirely depends on how RDRO income compares to GTAO. I think they're going to struggle to keep RDRO as fresh, since they lack technology to do crazy shame like they did in GTA. We'll see though.
They could sell really dumb stuff like they do with GTA. Like a skeleton horse, alien guns, bear hats, etc. It's only a problem if they plan for RDRO to be kinda serious.

Kerotan

Do you think they will launch RDR BR at some point?

Xevross

They could sell really dumb stuff like they do with GTA. Like a skeleton horse, alien guns, bear hats, etc. It's only a problem if they plan for RDRO to be kinda serious.
Yep I'm really intrigued as to where they're gonna go with it. I'm hoping that they're going to include cars at some point, because that would make for much more fun and variety. I'm also assuming there'll be a content creator. If there's not then that's gonna be upsetting.

BananaKing

Do you think they will launch RDR BR at some point?
I would think so possibly. I mean honestly they should. It's just a huge money maker it seems and they already got the infrastructure ready for that with gameplay and a map. But putting 100 people in a single server might need work. But it would be a fun BR