Riderz was banned on Neogaf

Started by Legend, May 23, 2014, 11:50 PM

previous topic - next topic

u4gReservoirDogs

May 24, 2014, 04:46 PM Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 05:03 PM by u4gReservoirDogs
I will send a few PSN-friends a message that I joined this website and ask them to come.
One of them is a member @ VGchartz, is a PlayStation-Fan and gets banned on a regular base as soon as kowenicki and his gang of trolls can find him ...
His nickname is Sonimi.
I'm always willing to endure humiliation on behalf of my characters. - Ben Stiller

Insanity

As a gaffer myself the moderation on that site is fine.

On the topic of active users here you arent going to get popular as a forum until the game releases. Even then its going to be a struggle because you will be expecting people to leave other sites they are invested in to join a small community of people for ONE game. Taking a look at the stats here you have had 5596 posts. HALF of them come from Legend, pezus, 7H3 and Raven. 4702/5594 posts come from 10 members.

How many non-vgc members are signed up?

Mmm_fish_tacos

On the topic of active users here you arent going to get popular as a forum until the game releases. Even then its going to be a struggle because you will be expecting people to leave other sites they are invested in to join a small community of people for ONE game. Taking a look at the stats here you have had 5596 posts. HALF of them come from Legend, pezus, 7H3 and Raven. 4702/5594 posts come from 10 members.

I'm pretty sure alll the ones that talk are from VCG, Maybe even the ones that dont. My Real life friend was going to join but when he tired it gave him an error. Maybe i'll need to ask him to join again.

Legend

I'm pretty sure alll the ones that talk are from VCG, Maybe even the ones that dont. My Real life friend was going to join but when he tired it gave him an error. Maybe i'll need to ask him to join again.

Yeah I'm seeing a lot of error notifications, but atm I don't know what they refer to. Can you describe his error?

Yeah the game should be really helpful with this forum, but we should still do what we can to get this forum growing today. Also if people are coming for the game, then I wouldn't expect them to leave other sites. I'm an active member of four forums. People can just come here to talk about VizionEck and go back to GAF to talk everything else.

We have three non vgchartz members I believe, but it's the vgchartz guys that are pushing the big posting numbers.

Dr. Pezus

Yeah, and on VGChartz it was the same. Half of the posts came from a few regulars. I was the top poster there and I am almost the top poster here. Big surprise. Most people just aren't much for posting a lot.

Besides, I'm sure it was the same on Gaf and VGChartz when they were starting up. Only very few active users (that now barely, if ever, post there).

Insanity

Yeah the game should be really helpful with this forum, but we should still do what we can to get this forum growing today. Also if people are coming for the game, then I wouldn't expect them to leave other sites. I'm an active member of four forums. People can just come here to talk about VizionEck and go back to GAF to talk everything else.

The problem riderz was having was that the forum isnt active enough - http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=209.0;msg=5509 - Because it is only a handful of active people. As a general videogame forum which I am assuming some people want this to be it really has little to no chance of success because of the "pull". It will bring people to talk about your game but people wont stay for general videogame discussion.

Yeah, and on VGChartz it was the same. Half of the posts came from a few regulars. I was the top poster there and I am almost the top poster here. Big surprise. Most people just aren't much for posting a lot.

Besides, I'm sure it was the same on Gaf and VGChartz when they were starting up. Only very few active users (that now barely, if ever, post there).

"Yeah, and on VGChartz it was the same".
Bullcrap. I just did the research. On posts, vgchartz has had almost 6.5 million posts and the top 10 posters have racked up less than 600k posts combined. You got yourself banned and the only other "inactive" member of that top 10 is darthdevidem01. Expanding that to the top 25 and it leaves you with darth, leo-j and khuutra who are inactive. Almost 100 people have hit the 10k post milestone. Over 280 people have hit the 5k posts milestone. To say that half the posts came from a "few regulars" is utter rubbish.

Vgchartz started slow but had that pull because of videogame sales. Its a huge pull. Neogaf started as a forum for a gaming website which brought the initial pull. Vizioneck has started out because of a niche indie title so the pull is nothing at all even close to any other active forum. The number of non-vgc users here is proof that you are going to struggle attracting new users even after the attention the game got from the media (and it was a lot of attention!)

Pennyarcade is another great forum for videogame talk which I would advise riderz to try out if he wants a good and active community, the pull comes from a number of different things. I could go on.

Like I said before you will be heavily reliant on when the game launches. It will make or break this forum as a place for active videogame talk. riderz is right in what he says that as a place for an active community, this forum doesnt cut it. It will be a few people following news on the game, mixed in with some vgchartz users who are still on vgchartz anyway.

Dr. Pezus

"Yeah, and on VGChartz it was the same".
Bullcrap. I just did the research. On posts, vgchartz has had almost 6.5 million posts and the top 10 posters have racked up less than 600k posts combined. You got yourself banned and the only other "inactive" member of that top 10 is darthdevidem01. Expanding that to the top 25 and it leaves you with darth, leo-j and khuutra who are inactive. Almost 100 people have hit the 10k post milestone. Over 280 people have hit the 5k posts milestone. To say that half the posts came from a "few regulars" is utter rubbish.

Vgchartz started slow but had that pull because of videogame sales. Its a huge pull. Neogaf started as a forum for a gaming website which brought the initial pull. Vizioneck has started out because of a niche indie title so the pull is nothing at all even close to any other active forum. The number of non-vgc users here is proof that you are going to struggle attracting new users even after the attention the game got from the media (and it was a lot of attention!)

Pennyarcade is another great forum for videogame talk which I would advise riderz to try out if he wants a good and active community, the pull comes from a number of different things. I could go on.

Like I said before you will be heavily reliant on when the game launches. It will make or break this forum as a place for active videogame talk. riderz is right in what he says that as a place for an active community, this forum doesnt cut it. It will be a few people following news on the game, mixed in with some vgchartz users who are still on vgchartz anyway.

Eh, if it wasn't obvious I was talking about a similar time frame, not almost a decade since it was created. Obviously the top posters haven't been there since the start and they haven't always posted as much.

I guess you don't remember but there were almost always the same few users in the top 10 posters each month with the most points and posts for a while. It's kind of unfair to compare almost 10 years to a few weeks, you know.

Btw, I didn't "get myself banned"...I asked for it.

Legend didn't really advertise the forum along with the game, though. Most people just look at the trailer and perhaps the main website and don't read through it all (until they've played and liked the game).

In the end, I don't really care if this forum becomes "big" or not. I just want it to continue being a nice environment for gaming discussions as it has been thus far imo. As a forum becomes bigger, it tends to get a few bad apples.

Legend

Eh, if it wasn't obvious I was talking about a similar time frame, not almost a decade since it was created. Obviously the top posters haven't been there since the start and they haven't always posted as much.

I guess you don't remember but there were almost always the same few users in the top 10 posters each month with the most points and posts for a while. It's kind of unfair to compare almost 10 years to a few weeks, you know.

Legend didn't really advertise the forum along with the game, though. Most people just look at the trailer and perhaps the main website and don't read through it all (until they've played and liked the game).

In the end, I don't really care if this forum becomes "big" or not. I just want it to continue being a nice environment for gaming discussions as it has been thus far imo. As a forum becomes bigger, it tends to get a few bad apples.

As far as bad apples and what not go, I think 99% of forum posters go to forums because they like video games. (Shocker). Bad apples are really just diamonds in the rough. With work, they can be made into quality posters. Take myself for example. When I first joined vgchartz I was a stupid sony fanboy who was jelious of Nintendo.

Insanity

I know you were talking about time frame which is why I was talking about when they started and the pull they had. This forum doesnt have that "pull".

The points system on vgc is broken because it takes into account things ranging from wall posts and status updates to posts in a thread created. It cannot be used to determine who was active and who wasnt active because it isnt an accurate representation of who posts in the forums. And asking for a ban = getting yourself banned.

My post/ point was in reference to the OP and riderz, who was complaining about the size of the community here. He is right. As a community this place needs growth. It desperately needs it from outside vgc members.

Legend

I know you were talking about time frame which is why I was talking about when they started and the pull they had. This forum doesnt have that "pull".

The points system on vgc is broken because it takes into account things ranging from wall posts and status updates to posts in a thread created. It cannot be used to determine who was active and who wasnt active because it isnt an accurate representation of who posts in the forums. And asking for a ban = getting yourself banned.

My post/ point was in reference to the OP and riderz, who was complaining about the size of the community here. He is right. As a community this place needs growth. It desperately needs it from outside vgc members.

I agree. This forum is small atm which is great for community, but it stops us from being "active" feeling.

Dr. Pezus

Yeah I'd never think this forum could become the next VGC or Gaf (in terms of size). Just saying it will grow.

Well wall posts and the like are forum activity, so yes, it does actually say who is active. To a point, at least.

manbearspurge

I was banned on vgchartz for talking about gang raping princess peach. so upset!

Dr. Pezus

Lol spurge. Always classy

BananaKing

I was banned on vgchartz for talking about gang raping princess peach. so upset!

they got you banned for that? seriously? you are free to talk about your sick twisted demented fantasies over here ;)

btw i lol'd at that thread.

Dr. Pezus

Yes, spurge, you should make threads like that here lol.

Go Up