Video Game Sales Thread

Started by Xevross, Aug 14, 2014, 02:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Dr. Pezus

the-pi-guy

kitler53

you know those people raging about playstation games going to PC?   yeah,.. it's those 8% that bought a ps5 and are mad about purchasing hardware they no longer need...

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Legend

the-pi-guy

kitler53

mind share wise ghost is much bigger than days gone. 

BananaKing

mind share wise ghost is much bigger than days gone.
Days gone sold more than any PS3 exclusive except GT5. Its crazy to think this would have been their most important IP a gen before to one they dont want to touch anymore in the space of 1 gen.

Heck games like infamous and killzone sold  A LOT less and still got sequels  

kitler53

Jan 06, 2022, 04:37 AM Last Edit: Jan 06, 2022, 04:40 AM by kitler53
Days gone sold more than any PS3 exclusive except GT5. Its crazy to think this would have been their most important IP a gen before to one they dont want to touch anymore in the space of 1 gen.

Heck games like infamous and killzone sold  A LOT less and still got sequels 
got sequels in the era when none of their games did great. perhaps you've notice that both franchises are dead now. 

I dunno, they say 8 million but I don't remember it reviewing well or selling well day-1. I think I remember it getting a price drop pretty early.   also am I part of that 8 mill?,. sony gave it to me as part of the ps+ collection.

I cried no tears over it not getting a sequel. at no point have I ever wanted to play it either.  It just feels uninspired and especially sub par coming from the company that also makes TLoU.  the franchise made about as much sense as driveclub when they have GT...

Sony has Soo many holes in their line-up.  go work on something else bend.  the world does not need another zombie game.

the-pi-guy

I dunno, they say 8 million but I don't remember it reviewing well or selling well day-1. I think I remember it getting a price drop pretty early.   also am I part of that 8 mill?,. sony gave it to me as part of the ps+ collection.
- the game was very much a commercial success. But the launch had issues. Poor critical reception, buggy, etc.

- Jeff Ross followed up, that it reached those sales before PS+.

kitler53

- the game was very much a commercial success. But the launch had issues. Poor critical reception, buggy, etc.

- Jeff Ross followed up, that it reached those sales before PS+.

i think the poor critical reception is a big part of what makes it a failure though.

sure, it did 8 million but if many of those buyers felt disappointed how many would buy a sequel?  probably fewer.  sony wants their games to reach 20 million not 5 million.  sony wants franchises they can leverage with movies.  i don't think days gone is the franchise to do that. 

but i'll repeat what i said above,.. the IP should have been canned from the original pitch.  sony doesn't need another zombie game.  from the start bend should have found something more distinct within the sony first party line-up.  

the-pi-guy

i think the poor critical reception is a big part of what makes it a failure though.
I'm just explaining the situation, not defending DG or anything.
sure, it did 8 million but if many of those buyers felt disappointed how many would buy a sequel?  probably fewer.  sony wants their games to reach 20 million not 5 million.
I think that's absolutely the point.

I think Sony's viewpoint at the moment is that a great game that sells 5 million is preferable to a bad game that sells 10 million.
- the great game is probably going to grow, whereas the bad game isn't like to have as many people return for a sequel.
- a great game benefits the PlayStation brand as a whole. They can argue their games are really worth the $70 price tag.

but i'll repeat what i said above,.. the IP should have been canned from the original pitch.  sony doesn't need another zombie game.  from the start bend should have found something more distinct within the sony first party line-up.  
Aside from their one other zombie game?

kitler53

Aside from their one other zombie game?
yes.  

sony doesn't make that many games.  they should not have 2 of anything.  days gone wasn't as bad as driveclub/GT but it is still redundant and TLoU was done much better.  make a pirate game or or something. 

the-pi-guy

sales of VR/AR hardware and accessories during the five-week holiday period from the week of Thanksgiving through Christmas (Nov. 21, 2021 - Dec. 25, 2021) more than doubled in unit and dollar sales, up 180% and 153%, respectively, versus the prior year.
US VR/AR Hardware and Accessories Sales Grew More Than 2x Compared to 2020 | Metaverse - The NPD Group

Huge sales growth in VR.

the-pi-guy

Horizon is huuuugee.

Go Up