Single Player games aren't dying, they're ruling

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 10, 2019, 03:46 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

That's not a mistake you'd uncover at CD Projekt RED, hugely profitable makers of single-player games, most famously The Witcher series and the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077. And actually, if you look even slightly deeper you realise that not only is the world of single-player thriving, it's winning. 2018's Game Awards' Game of the Year was God Of War, a title that you can only play alone, despite being accompanied by 'boy'. The runner-up in most people's minds was Read Dead Redemption II, another lone wolf, albeit one that carries the promise of a persistent multiplayer world grafted on top of it.

But that's the tip of the iceberg. If you examine PlayStation's dominance this generation, most will tell you it was driven by Sony's dedication to nurturing platform exclusives, almost all of which were single-player: The Last Of Us, Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn, and The Last Guardian are unarguable. You might quibble with the inclusion of Detroit: Become Human in that list, but it's a unique experience that has as many boosters as it does critics.

Read more: Single-player games aren't dying, they're ruling | Metro News

kitler53

i spend more time on multiplayer games:  destiny + rocket league

..but i buy more single player games.

i am risk adverse to multiplayer games because if there is no established community there is no game to even play.   even if unpopular there is no risk in a single player game,.. i can always play it.  and because they are more "disposable" i tend to buy and play more of them.  but for the multiplayer games i play i spend more money on them.  GoW was $60 but destiny has been hundreds with each of the expansions.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Single player games aren't dying, but short AAA games are. Almost all single player games this gen have ballooned in size and are structured closer to multiplayer games compared to last gen. They've become huge time sinks with tons of replayability.

It's just a general trend the industry is making. If a studio is going to spend years making a game, they want the game to stay popular and actively played for as long as possible.