Learning a language? Come share your progress here!

Started by Legend, Dec 20, 2016, 06:31 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

There's a language called Oksapmin that has base 27, that counts similar to this diagram.  They use the same word for the body part as the number.  
So they also have different words for left wrist and right wrist.  

Legend

There's a language called Oksapmin that has base 27, that counts similar to this diagram.  They use the same word for the body part as the number.  
So they also have different words for left wrist and right wrist.  
Odd that they'd go through the trouble of inventing that system without just using multiple digits for body counting.

the-pi-guy

The sounds that I have to get straight:
q, ch (one described as the "ch" in cheese, and the other as the "ch" in chirp)

x, r, sh (r is pronounced the same as sh, except the vocal cords vibrate. Sh is pronounced as you'd expect.  X is described online as the "sh" sound, except your have the tip of the tongue at the bottom of your teeth.).

J, zh (one described as the "j" in Jeep and the other as the "j" in jerk)

the-pi-guy

Koe (声) | The Japanese-learning JRPG by Strawberry Games

Koe (声) on Steam

A language learning RPG.  :o

Koe (声) uses research based on communicative language learning and related language acquisition and retainment techniques as its core game design principal. However, we've put the focus on making Koe (声) a game rather than another edutainment-style application. Koe (声) is a full RPG at its core.

Legend

Koe (声) | The Japanese-learning JRPG by Strawberry Games

Koe (声) on Steam

A language learning RPG.  :o

Cool.

You can use it to find out what mistakes to avoid with your game ;D

the-pi-guy

Cool.

You can use it to find out what mistakes to avoid with your game ;D
Or show how little I can add to it, already.  :(

Eh, I'm pretty sure my idea is different enough.

the-pi-guy

Sep 20, 2018, 01:18 PM Last Edit: Sep 20, 2018, 02:42 PM by the-pi-guy
I'm really glad that Mandarin is the most popular Chinese language.  But, Cantonese is more popular in America... 

Having more than 4 tones would be beyond awful.  I feel like I might have a chance with 4 tones, but having like 6/9 tones like in Cantonese would be terrible, I think. 

One thing I am really liking about learning other languages is that you learn more about your own language, because you have to be more conscious about the sounds, and structure. 

While learning Japanese, I was more aware of certain English sounds.  Like I felt like there was a missing "a" sound, that we have in English.  It's similar to the "ugh" sound.  Chinese has this sound, in their "e". 

the-pi-guy

I know I'm nowhere near ready to understand anything in a game, but I figure it might still be helpful.  But it's kind of hard to find games with Chinese audio.  
I've got a good dozen or so with subtitles, but I can't find any with audio.  

Japanese is much easier of course.  

the-pi-guy

Oct 28, 2018, 02:48 AM Last Edit: Oct 29, 2018, 02:48 AM by the-pi-guy
I've been really starting to enjoy Chinese.  I'm getting really excited to learn.

Its kinda awesome how quickly you can learn stuff.

I say kinda because it's still daunting how long all this takes.

Gotta bookmark this:
https://languagelearningwithnetflix.com/catalogue.html?utm_source=Reddit%20cat#language=Japanese&country=

Legend

Have you finished Japanese?

I wonder if it's best to do both simultaneously/back to back or if it's best to spread them out.

the-pi-guy

Have you finished Japanese?

I wonder if it's best to do both simultaneously/back to back or if it's best to spread them out.
No I'm still closer to a beginner.  :(

Biggest reason why I am taking Chinese right now I because I needed a foreign language credit and Japanese didn't fit in my schedule.  

Nice thing is that there a lot of overlap between the two languages.  I can learn new characters.

Legend

No I'm still closer to a beginner.  :(

Biggest reason why I am taking Chinese right now I because I needed a foreign language credit and Japanese didn't fit in my schedule.  

Nice thing is that there a lot of overlap between the two languages.  I can learn new characters.
Sounds like a win win then.

the-pi-guy

Sounds like a win win then.
To be honest, I have been having a really hard time staying motivated with learning.   I'll make good progress for a few days, then I won't learn anything for like a few months.  
School hurts a lot too, because there's a lot going on with it.  

Legend

To be honest, I have been having a really hard time staying motivated with learning.   I'll make good progress for a few days, then I won't learn anything for like a few months.  
School hurts a lot too, because there's a lot going on with it.  
Any progress is still good progress  :)

the-pi-guy

Jan 24, 2019, 04:54 AM Last Edit: Jan 24, 2019, 05:03 AM by the-pi-guy
I've never felt like I've needed to do something as much as learning Japanese.

But usually I haven't had time.  And even when I have had time, I have been having trouble staying motivated.  

I feel so frustrated.  I have this strong desire to do something, and yet at the same time I don't feel like I have the will.  

When I'm going through the vocabulary of the first textbook, I know most of it.  Yet I still don't feel like I know enough to go to the second book.

I just have to keep trying.

Go Up