My speculation about the next few years of VR

Viewing single post

Started by the-pi-guy, May 03, 2019, 02:13 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

I think standalone VR (Quest) will be really successful.  

-------
The announcement of the Valve Index has been bothering me.  It only really makes sense if you factor in that Valve has definite long term plans for VR.  

Gabe has talked on several occasions about wanting to be like Nintendo, that Miyamoto gets to design hardware and the games around each other.  
And here, Valve has failed.  None of the games are included with the hardware, and only 1 of them is intended to be released this year.

Even during the announcement of the Index, Valve was talking about 3 pillars for VR's success, VR has to be high fidelity, affordable and low friction.
Valve has admitted that it only does the first one.  This makes no sense.  What company announces a product, says "it has to do these 3 things to be successful and ours only does 1."

This whole thing makes no sense.  

For a company with such lofty goals and the means to reach those goals, it doesn't make sense that they'd do any of this.  

Unless you consider that Valve already has a successor in mind.  Then this starts to make a lot more sense.  

The current headset isn't intended to make VR big.  They aren't intending for the Index to be successful.  They are only intending for it to be good.  Which is another thing that Valve has talked about, VR has to get good before it becomes successful.  

So I think we'll see another headset from Valve in the next 3 years that will follow through on their other two goals.