Buying GTA, CoD, and Battlefield Now The Same as Murder

Started by kitler53, Feb 19, 2021, 03:27 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

https://kotaku.com/saudi-arabia-acquires-3-3-billion-stake-in-ea-take-tw-1846299509

Saudi Arabia Acquires $3.3 Billion Stake In EA, Take-Two, Activision Blizzard

Saudi Arabia has utilized its Public Investment Fund to invest over $3.3 billion (that's $3,300,000,000 for the more visual learners out there) in Electronic Arts, Take-Two Interactive, and Activision Blizzard, Al Jazeera reported (h/t Eurogamer).

This move, undertaken by Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman (known colloquially as MBS), equates to millions of shares in each company, a decent foothold in the video game industry but relatively small fractions of ownership.

The crown prince's MiSK Foundation, a non-profit foundation meant to "foster, empower, and create a healthy environment for young creative talents" in Saudi Arabia, also obtained a one-third stake in Japanese gaming company SNK late last year, with the end goal of eventually taking majority control of the iconic studio.

While not explicitly part of MBS's overall Saudi Vision 2030 plan--which, on paper, is about attracting investors and tourism but essentially boils down to a propaganda campaign hoping to portray Saudi Arabia as a progressive nation rather than the oppressive, medieval monarchy it truly is--his recent overtures to the video game industry follow the same pattern as investments his regime has made in sports, esports, and professional wrestling.

MBS was hailed as a reformer early into his tenure as crown prince for, among other things, giving women the right to drive. But his alleged role in ordering the 2018 assassination of journalist Jamal Khashoggi and Saudi Arabi's continued genocide of the Yemeni people (with assistance from the United States and the United Arab Emirates) have made him controversial on the global stage.

Last summer, Riot was forced to pull out of a partnership with Saudi Arabia, which would have seen a League of Legends event promote the kingdom's incredibly dumb NEOM project, after backlash from the esports community.
click bait much?

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Less click bait then I expected.

Would be great if these video game companies could resist in one form or another, but I don't expect it. Games nowadays literally cannot include Taiwan because it upsets China.

kitler53

Less click bait then I expected.

Would be great if these video game companies could resist in one form or another, but I don't expect it. Games nowadays literally cannot include Taiwan because it upsets China.
well, if i understand correctly SA simply bought stock in these publically traded companies so i don't think there is anything they could do.    

and the taiwan (winnie the pooh) thing is less about china ownership and more about them fully willing to exclude entire platforms (steam,apple,ms) from their entire country for the availably of 1 app anywhere in the world.   china just has too much power.

as companies like tesla put internet access into space i really hope they put a few satellites above china.  would love to see the great-firewall-of-china be breached.

Legend

well, if i understand correctly SA simply bought stock in these publically traded companies so i don't think there is anything they could do.    

and the taiwan (winnie the pooh) thing is less about china ownership and more about them fully willing to exclude entire platforms (steam,apple,ms) from their entire country for the availably of 1 app anywhere in the world.   china just has too much power.

as companies like tesla put internet access into space i really hope they put a few satellites above china.  would love to see the great-firewall-of-china be breached.
Space internet physically works in China but they will be able to track and arrest people for using it. Same with Russia.

Yeah it's not about ownership, it's about poking a bigger entity with a stick. No company wants to get into a fight with China so they do what China wants. Will the same happen with these three companies and Saudi Arabia? Will the companies push by including things not politically popular in Saudi Arabia, or will they try to avoid conflict? Answer is kinda obvious which sucks.

kitler53

Space internet physically works in China but they will be able to track and arrest people for using it. Same with Russia.

Yeah it's not about ownership, it's about poking a bigger entity with a stick. No company wants to get into a fight with China so they do what China wants. Will the same happen with these three companies and Saudi Arabia? Will the companies push by including things not politically popular in Saudi Arabia, or will they try to avoid conflict? Answer is kinda obvious which sucks.
they can track who uses  the internet they aren't providing?  how?

yeah, it sucks.   i wish i could be like dexter but instead of killing serial killers i killed authoritarian leaders abusing their power.

Legend

they can track who uses  the internet they aren't providing?  how?

yeah, it sucks.   i wish i could be like dexter but instead of killing serial killers i killed authoritarian leaders abusing their power.
The internet broadcasts in a specific frequency. You can't easily catch every one but you can catch enough to set an example.

BananaKing

Wtf is that battleship headline

kitler53

The internet broadcasts in a specific frequency. You can't easily catch every one but you can catch enough to set an example.
so like a man-in-the-middle scenario?

Xevross

I mean, its not a completely crazy statement and that's the scary thing.