Super Mario Odyssey has an amazing hint system

Started by Legend, Feb 03, 2019, 12:30 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Nowadays with the internet it's way too easy to just look stuff up online the second you're having difficulty. Super Mario Odyssey has a clever way of handling this imo. Every level has a bird that will randomly tell you the names of missing moons. These names often describe the way the moon is found. In addition, there is a toad that can be talked to. For 50 coins, he will mark the position of a missing moon on your map.

It's just nice when going for 100%. I found all coins in the game and all moons in the game without ever looking online. It was really fun. Talos Principle had a similar hint system but it wasn't as nice.

Xevross

Yeah its awesome, was a big help to find missing moons. It still felt good to find them with the hints, like you were finding them yourself. SMO is just an amazing game all round.

Cute Pikachu

I love Odyssey for that.
Now if Breath of the Wild's Korok tracker wasn't behind the season pass...
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

kitler53

Feb 04, 2019, 04:49 PM Last Edit: Feb 04, 2019, 04:54 PM by kitler53
destiny 2 however, has quests like "investigate the anomaly on IO" or "you can just hear and encoded SOS repeating something about a garden"  making it all but impossible to not go to the internet...   

sometimes i fudgy hate playing destiny.  

Nowadays with the internet it's way too easy to just look stuff up online the second you're having difficulty. Super Mario Odyssey has a clever way of handling this imo. Every level has a bird that will randomly tell you the names of missing moons. These names often describe the way the moon is found. In addition, there is a toad that can be talked to. For 50 coins, he will mark the position of a missing moon on your map.

It's just nice when going for 100%. I found all coins in the game and all moons in the game without ever looking online. It was really fun. Talos Principle had a similar hint system but it wasn't as nice.
i don't remember any hint system in talos principle.  amazing game though.  i only had to go to the internet for like 2 or 3 puzzles.  getting that 1 star (the one at the bottom of the fountain) that required me to know the date at which we first landed on the moon (or whatever it was) was just bananas difficult for me.

god did i love that game.   aren't they making a sequel??

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

destiny 2 however, has quests like "investigate the anomaly on IO" or "you can just hear and encoded SOS repeating something about a garden"  making it all but impossible to not go to the internet...  

sometimes i fudgy hate playing destiny.  
i don't remember any hint system in talos principle.  amazing game though.  i only had to go to the internet for like 2 or 3 puzzles.  getting that 1 star (the one at the bottom of the fountain) that required me to know the date at which we first landed on the moon (or whatever it was) was just bananas difficult for me.

god did i love that game.   aren't they making a sequel??
Talos was incredibly restrictive with the hints. You could only get 3 per game and it took a lot of work to even get the hint unlocked.

I'm excited for Talos 2. I still need to play the DLC though.