Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

Jan 05, 2020, 04:09 PM Last Edit: Jan 05, 2020, 05:23 PM by Xevross
$33.7M (-53%) third weekend estimate for Star Wars with a running total of $450.8M. Not great, but not too bad. Probably heading for about $510m total domestic.

Jumanji continues to close with a $26.5M (-25%) weekend, its only a matter of time until it overtakes SW in dailies. It probably won't claim #1 though as 1917 should be #1 when it opens wide next weekend. Little Women is doing really well, as is Knives out. Cats is a big flop. Grudge opened with $11m this weekend and is only the 18th film ever to get an F cinemascore so legs will be dire.

Star Wars had a $50m international weekend, which is much better than domestic. Worldwide total of $919M so far, probably heading for about $1.06b in the end.

Frozen 2 reached $1.325B WW total to become the new highest grossing animated film of all time (depending on if you count TLK), overtaking its predecessor.

Xevross

Jumanji continues to close with a $26.5M (-25%) weekend, its only a matter of time until it overtakes SW in dailies.
Scrap that, Jumanji has dropped badly now the holiday is fully over. It had crept up to being 80% of SW's dailies and on wednesday its back down to only 58%. SW is holding okay, going about as exptected so far. Knives Out and Little Women are the two films which have held most impressively this week, Little Women has actually overtaken Jumanji now.

1917 is tracking really well after its golden globe wins, could well open over $40M. Think I might go and see it, there's not much else coming out for a while.

Legend

Scrap that, Jumanji has dropped badly now the holiday is fully over. It had crept up to being 80% of SW's dailies and on wednesday its back down to only 58%. SW is holding okay, going about as exptected so far. Knives Out and Little Women are the two films which have held most impressively this week, Little Women has actually overtaken Jumanji now.

1917 is tracking really well after its golden globe wins, could well open over $40M. Think I might go and see it, there's not much else coming out for a while.
I heard really good things about 1917 from my cousin who worked on it. I'll probably go see it one of these days too.

Xevross

I heard really good things about 1917 from my cousin who worked on it. I'll probably go see it one of these days too.
Seems like a biased source!

Dr. Pezus

Seems like a biased source!
Haha thankfully there are less biased sources out there with very positive impressions!

Xevross

Star Wars finally hit $1B today. Looks like the total will be about $1.07B, right on TS4 and Joker.

1917 opened well and is the biggest film out at the moment but Bad Boys will take #1 this weekend.

Xevross

TROS rottentomatoes score has kept slipping and its now finally fallen to 52%, lower than TPM's 53% setting a new low for Star Wars films. Probably deserved.

Bad Boys had exceptional thursday night previews with $6.3M, its going to easily claim #1 at the box office. Dolittle is doing very poorly with $900k previews, will probably make a loss due to its ridiculous $175M budget. 1917 and Bad Boys both overperforming means January is doing very well overall at the box office.

nnodley

dolittle looked garbage anyway

Legend

I did not expect BadBoys to make money lol
dolittle looked garbage anyway
Agreed. Pokemon are kinda cheating but has anything besides Detective pikachu had good talking animals?

Edt paddington is great.

Xevross

Bad Boys For Life seriously breaking out with a 4-day weekend that's looking like it could hit $75M now. Easily 2nd biggest Jan weekend ever. Total could get close to $200m with good legs but anything $170m+ is excellent from here. Sony would have taken $100M total a week ago if you offered it to them, it was tracking for about $30-40m debut and $100m total.

Jumanji moved ahead of Star Wars this weekend, finally. Frozen 2 also passed $1.4b WW.

Dr. Pezus

Dr. Pezus

How in the world did Uncut Gems not get any Oscar noms? Really great, if a bit uncomfortable to watch  :o . Adam Sandler really should've been nominated. Owned the film

Legend

How in the world did Uncut Gems not get any Oscar noms? Really great, if a bit uncomfortable to watch  :o . Adam Sandler really should've been nominated. Owned the film
Adam Sandler is good again?

the-pi-guy

It's not a comedy.  It's a crime thriller.  
I've heard that Sandler is great in it.  

Funnily enough on that note, I saw this Sandler stand up video.  It was just a couple minutes long and it was funny.  The interesting thing is that none of it was the type of humor he would be associated with today.  No flatulence or naughtiness jokes at all.  

He just doesn't seem to try anymore.

Dr. Pezus

I guess he just needs a good role, script and directors

Go Up