RUMOUR - Youtube Purchasing Twitch for $1 Billion

Started by Riderz1337, May 19, 2014, 01:02 AM

previous topic - next topic

Riderz1337

YouTube is buying popular video game streaming service Twitch for "more than $1 billion," says a new report from show-biz site Variety.

According to the publication's sources, the Google-owned company will make an announcement about the deal "imminently." It's not been knocked out of the park yet, however: YouTube is reportedly expecting tough questions from the Justice Department around anticompetitive practices, considering both services are far and away number one in their respective fields.

Twitch was launched in June 2011 by co-founders of Justin.tv Justin Kan and Emmett Shear, and has subsequently become the go-to space for user-generated streaming and an integral part of the vision behind next-gen hardware. If the deal goes ahead, it will mark YouTube's most prolific acquisition in history.

Source:http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/05/18/rumor-suggests-youtube-is-buying-twitch-for-1-billion
Legend made me remove this. Everybody riot.

MUGEN

From a business point of view..this just makes perfect sense. Very good get for Youtube/Google

Legend

I think this'll be good for gamers. U stream still exists as competition too.

BasilZero

This is insane :O

Megaton news indeed - its funny cause a lot of Twitch Users were ex-YouTube users - I'm guessing they'll go to Ustream now.

7H3

I heard about this... Event was talking about it in the video I posted from him yesterday :-p
it will be interesting to see how things shape up... Very smart of google I think, and hopefully you will be able to save your streams from twitch to youtube easily now.
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend