Nikkei - Sony sets out to conquer entertainment world with anime (with multi-pronged strategy including games)

Started by the-pi-guy, Aug 12, 2020, 07:28 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

i just don't know about this.
I'm not sure if Crunchyroll is worth 1.175 billion.  

But anime is pretty popular.  Demon Slayer by itself has put out like 2.6 billion in revenue in Japan alone.  

It's decently big in the US too, and Sony Music holds the anime license here.

kitler53

I'm not sure if Crunchyroll is worth 1.175 billion.  

But anime is pretty popular.  Demon Slayer by itself has put out like 2.6 billion in revenue in Japan alone.  

It's decently big in the US too, and Sony Music holds the anime license here.
sure, but i dont' see much potential for growth here either.  it anime going to get more popular in sony's hands?  can they synergize with their music, movie, and video game business to generate value?

i just don't know.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Dec 10, 2020, 03:34 PM Last Edit: Dec 10, 2020, 03:43 PM by the-pi-guy
Fate/Grand Order's Worldwide Earnings Balloon to $4 Billion

Sony also has an anime game consistently making nearly a billion in revenue every year:
2015: released
2017: $982 million
2018: $1.2 billion
2019: over a billion

BananaKing

I believe anime is growing. And will continue to grow. Just like gaming has grown to the masses, I believe anime is on the same trajectory. Dont think it will be as big, but it was once viewed as the nerd thing. In a while it will be viewed as something more "normal"

the-pi-guy

darkknightkryta

Sony’s Hopes of Countering Netflix in Anime Market Delayed by Antitrust Probe — The Information

Seems plausible the deal won't go through.

Considering the shame that the U.S. Justice department lets through (At&T should not have been allowed to buy Warner Bros.), I don't know why they're even caring about this.  Nor would I know who would have the sway to even get them to look into this.  Hell, I don't even think the people who brought this up would even know what anime is.  Can you imagine the conversation?
People: "Hey, At&T is planning to buy Warner Bros and get a near monopoly on cable and entertainment... shouldn't we know, stop them?"  
Justice Department: "Nah it's good".
People: "Hey, Sony's planning to buy Crunchyroll from AT&T.  That's cool, maybe now I don't have to have two subs"
Justice Department: "I don't know the words coming out of your mouth, but we have to stop them!'

P.S. I'm just guessing the AT&T Merger would have been reviewed by the Justice Department.

Legend

From the outside, it does seem a bit funky.

Bethesda was way larger and just happened.

the-pi-guy

The big question is whether they view anime as a separate market.  

If yes, then they'd likely view funimation and crunchyroll as a monopoly with no competition whatsoever.  

If no, then they'd view Netflix, Hulu, etc as competition.  

kitler53

The big question is whether they view anime as a separate market.  

If yes, then they'd likely view funimation and crunchyroll as a monopoly with no competition whatsoever.  

If no, then they'd view Netflix, Hulu, etc as competition.  

netflix has a lot of anime. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Dr. Pezus

netflix has a lot of anime.
And even makes anime now

the-pi-guy

Aug 10, 2021, 01:55 AM Last Edit: Aug 10, 2021, 02:00 AM by the-pi-guy

Crunchyroll is officially under Sony.

Go Up