Disney is having a bad year at the box office

Started by Legend, May 28, 2023, 02:35 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

BananaKing

In general it looks that way, but there are big outliers like Wakanda Forever. That movie lacked Chadwick Boseman and had a big focus on politcs yet still made $850 million.

Wakanda Forever wasn't good imo but most people liked it.
I didnt see it so I cant judge of quality.

But wakanda and the blank panther are really important to MCU. Just like thor love and thunder. It wasnt really good. But still managed to do well.

Im not saying the infusion of politics is the only reason, or the biggest. Like horizon said subscribers services are probably the biggest factor and the quality of the movies.

Legend

The issue is Disney+ period. They've devalued their films except for the really big ones. I went to see Guardians 3 and it was awesome but other Disney films did not move the needle for me to see it. Race, politics etc might have a minuscule difference but Disney+ is the issue.
You're absolutely right that streaming has trained people to just wait for most movies, but should it really be this bad? Disney+ isn't as big in most international markets yet their films are struggling there too.

i want to know this,.. how is Disney plus still losing money.  there is hardly any content in the service and the number of subscribers is pretty high thanks to children.
They've had a lot of expensive movies go directly on it. Turning Red was $175 million, Pinocchio was $150 million, Luca was probably $150 million, Disenchantment was $85 million, and Peter Pan was $170 million.

Spiderverse 2 is set to open this weekend and is getting great reviews just like the first. Some people are predicting it will make significantly more than the first's $375 million. Will be crazy if it outgrosses both Elemental and Wish. Pre pandemic, Disney almost always had the top two spots every year for animated films at the box office.

kitler53

May 31, 2023, 05:56 PM Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 06:29 PM by kitler53
spider verse was amazing and I'm excited for the sequel.  my son really liked it too so we'll probably watch it in the theatre.

edit: fuk,.. just remembered this is pg-13.  my son it going to be mad.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

SWORDF1SH

sorry to have derailed the thread I guess but then maybe not.  I'm just sharing my experiences as they say.

I grew up in a conservative household and it was one of violence and hate speech.  

my my dad says things like "it was unnecessary and inappropriate for strange world to show homosexuality" it's burns because:
1. obviously he never found it "unnecessary or inappropriate" when other Disney films showed heterosexuality: beauty and the beast, lion king, little mermaid, Rapunzel, Robin hood, frozen, to name just a couple
2. my dad says things like gay people should stop asking for marriage equality or American will start executing them "like every other country".

so do I think every republican is evil?   probably not every voter but I was forced to work on several republican campaigns by my dad.  I met the people motivated enough to work to elect republicans back in the 90s and they were all horrible. the hate speech was rampant.  it's the formative experience that turned me to the left.

I wouldn't say Disney's latest movie have been amazing but I can also see that it might not have mattered if they were.  desantis is attacking Disney only because he thinks it is a winning idea.  he's doing it because he wants see that right rage is there just like what happened to bud.

...and they f'ing claim to hate cancel culture.
Being on twitter,  I can see your pov. Jeez some right wingers on twitter are so toxic. I can understand why some right wing people feel a certain way but then you have people that take that and turn it into hate.

Legend

Exclusive: Walt Disney's Pixar targets 'Lightyear' execs among 75 job cuts | Reuters

Lightyear director and a Lightyear producer. Sad that they aren't getting a second chance but they lost the studio ~$100 million so it makes sense. Sadly Don Hall (Strange World director) will probably be fired too since that lost even more money.

Meanwhile The Little Mermaid continues to do ok/good in America and flop overseas. Hopefully it can at least not lose money at the box office.

Also ya'll might not know this since I talk negatively about Marvel and Pixar a lot, but I'm a massive Disney fan. I'm really really hoping for them to turn things around; I'm not rooting for their failure.

BananaKing

Exclusive: Walt Disney's Pixar targets 'Lightyear' execs among 75 job cuts | Reuters

Lightyear director and a Lightyear producer. Sad that they aren't getting a second chance but they lost the studio ~$100 million so it makes sense. Sadly Don Hall (Strange World director) will probably be fired too since that lost even more money.

Meanwhile The Little Mermaid continues to do ok/good in America and flop overseas. Hopefully it can at least not lose money at the box office.

Also ya'll might not know this since I talk negatively about Marvel and Pixar a lot, but I'm a massive Disney fan. I'm really really hoping for them to turn things around; I'm not rooting for their failure.
I was never really a big Disney fan. But I think one of their issues is that they stopped releasing new IP continously.

They are relying mostly on their live action remakes, starwars, and marvel.

I cant remember the last time Disney released something new that was considered special.

Legend

I was never really a big Disney fan. But I think one of their issues is that they stopped releasing new IP continously.

They are relying mostly on their live action remakes, starwars, and marvel.

I cant remember the last time Disney released something new that was considered special.
I love that they've been making movies off their theme park rides but they're still playing it too safe. Jungle Cruise was fun and a good fit for that style of comedy but other movies need unique tones. Haunted Mansion could have been a million things yet instead it looks like a generic remake of the first movie.

Endgame was only 4 years ago. I thought it was lame but it sure was considered special at the box office.

Legend

Box Office: 'Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse' Super $16M Thursday - Deadline

Spiderman had a huge opening. Will do better than most Disney movies this year, maybe all.

the-pi-guy

Kind of crazy that Spider-Man will basically make money on its first weekend (*minus marketing and what the theaters take in).

BananaKing

Into the spiderverse was amazing. Glad this is also great and a success.

Any predictions of what it can do WW total? Or is it too soon?

Legend

Into the spiderverse was amazing. Glad this is also great and a success.

Any predictions of what it can do WW total? Or is it too soon?
Internationally it's not as big, so probably $700 million WW as a "wow what an incredible run" number.

Kind of crazy that Spider-Man will basically make money on its first weekend (*minus marketing and what the theaters take in).
On top of that, Sony has the next animated spiderman movie releasing in less than a year. They've executed this series flawlessly.

BananaKing

Internationally it's not as big, so probably $700 million WW as a "wow what an incredible run" number.

On top of that, Sony has the next animated spiderman movie releasing in less than a year. They've executed this series flawlessly.
If it manages 700 million that would be awesome. That would be pretty much double the first.

And that number can mean that most spiderman man's are really starting to see this as an essential movie to see, rather than just a spinoff. If it reaches 600-700 it really makes me wonder if a 3rd can reach a billion

the-pi-guy

Jun 05, 2023, 04:10 PM Last Edit: Jun 05, 2023, 04:25 PM by the-pi-guy
Haven't watched yet, but felt relevant based on the title.

Will it be a good vox video, or a bad opinion based vox video?  

Find out next time!

Old video, curse you ResetEra!

Legend

It's funny how every studio is just copying this look, instead of making their own unique styles.

Klaus was 2D animation that looked 3D, but it shows that building a style around low framerate is not the only way to do it.

Legend

'Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny' Low Box Office Outlook At $60M+ - Deadline

Still half a month to go so things will adjust, but this is predicted to lose millions.

Go Up