Video Game Sales Thread

Started by Xevross, Aug 14, 2014, 02:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Xevross

Bigly
Yeah, matched what U4 sold in 5 weeks in its first 2 and already pretty much matched GOW lifetime. I never expected it to be quite this big.

the-pi-guy

Do we know the original Tomb Raider breakdown?

Xevross

Do we know the original Tomb Raider breakdown?
Unfortunately not but I imagine it was similar. Bruno did post this:

Tomb Raider (ALL) - 185,000

Rise of the Tomb Raider (ALL) - 42,000

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One) - 36,000
Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox 360) - 6,000

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (ALL) - 52,000

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PlayStation 4) - 33,000
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One) - 19,000

Disastrous and Squeenix only have themselves to blame. I hope MS payed them a lot...

the-pi-guy

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition on PS4 outsells Xbox One 2:1 | Metro News

For the Definitive Edition that released on PS4/XBO, PS4 was way ahead.  

So yeah, exclusive deal seems like it definitely damaged the franchise.  

Xevross

It definitely did. Benji just said in that thread it certainly hurt the franchises momentum. Both launches showed the franchise is way bigger on playstation, but Squeenix did what they did with MS. Sure they got some money but dang did they hurt a promising franchise. Apparently this launch is only just a bit bigger than the last Deus Ex, which got dropped after that poor performance :(

Dr. Pezus

Spidey is a phenomenon. Bad timing and bad decisions for Tomb Raider

Xevross

Sep 16, 2018, 10:40 PM Last Edit: Sep 16, 2018, 10:53 PM by Xevross
[Week 36, 2018] MARVEL'S SPIDER-MAN (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) ~ 190,000 / NEW
[Week 37, 2018] MARVEL'S SPIDER-MAN (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) ~ 110,000 / 300,000 (-42%)

[Week 16, 2018] GOD OF WAR (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 96,000 / NEW
[Week 17, 2018] GOD OF WAR (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 62,000 / 158,000 (-35%)

[Week 19, 2016] UNCHARTED 4: A THIEF'S END (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 193,000 / NEW
[Week 20, 2016] UNCHARTED 4: A THIEF'S END (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) -  42,500 / 235,500 (-78%)

[Week 09, 2017] HORIZON ZERO DAWN (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 114,000 / NEW
[Week 10, 2017] HORIZON ZERO DAWN (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 46,000 / 160,000 (-60%)

Legend

3.3 for Spidy is my guess. The real question is which PS4 exclusive will break the record next.

Tomb Raider has been handled so poorly. First one could have easily set up a massive success for the trilogy but instead they keep doing worse and worse.

Xevross

3.3 for Spidy is my guess. The real question is which PS4 exclusive will break the record next.

Tomb Raider has been handled so poorly. First one could have easily set up a massive success for the trilogy but instead they keep doing worse and worse.
The only announced game with a chance of beating Spidey is TLOU2. We'll have to wait and see Spidey's numbers to judge whether it'll be possible. Otherwise Spidey could hold this record for quite a while.

Yeah its a shame really. Sounds like its been getting worse in quality and not just sales. I really liked the first game and wanted to play through the other two eventually but now I think I probably won't.

BananaKing

Spiderman's numbers are insane. That's a crazy hold for a game that sold that much. It's legs are going to be massive. If it continues this throughout the holidays then this will sell a lot ... I mean a lot this year.

And serves square enix right. Let them be happy about ththat exclusivity deal. It clearly hurt them a lot, just as most (other than Xbox Fanboys) said it would. This franchise could have been a lot bigger but they decided to screw over the fans for a quick paycheck. I'm actually really happy this game underperformed in the UK, hopefully it will happen in the US as well

Dr. Pezus

I'm gonna say 3.5m for spidey

Legend

And serves square enix right. Let them be happy about ththat exclusivity deal. It clearly hurt them a lot, just as most (other than Xbox Fanboys) said it would. This franchise could have been a lot bigger but they decided to screw over the fans for a quick paycheck. I'm actually really happy this game underperformed in the UK, hopefully it will happen in the US as well
Can they not redeem themselves though? Shadow is releasing on PS4 and XB1 simultaneously. If a 4th game is made, would you hope that game does bad too?

Yeah its a shame really. Sounds like its been getting worse in quality and not just sales. I really liked the first game and wanted to play through the other two eventually but now I think I probably won't.
2 was still ok. It just didn't feel similar to the first.

Kerotan

Sep 17, 2018, 12:00 AM Last Edit: Sep 17, 2018, 12:15 AM by Kerotan

I championed the idea the brand was permanently damaged when they sold their sold to the devil aka Microsoft. I remember chazore and puggsly crying their eyes out trying to argue it wasn't damaged and it was a good move taking the micro money.

Kerotan vindicated again!!!

Still funny seeing the ps4 version still selling much more then the xbox version in their second strongest market. WW the ratio will be the usual playstation bloodbath. Ps4 version might not be selling well but xbox is horrendous. So not only was the deal damaging for SE, in the long run it did diddly squat for micro.

[Week 36, 2018] MARVEL'S SPIDER-MAN (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) ~ 190,000 / NEW
[Week 37, 2018] MARVEL'S SPIDER-MAN (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) ~ 110,000 / 300,000 (-42%)

[Week 16, 2018] GOD OF WAR (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 96,000 / NEW
[Week 17, 2018] GOD OF WAR (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 62,000 / 158,000 (-35%)

[Week 19, 2016] UNCHARTED 4: A THIEF'S END (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 193,000 / NEW
[Week 20, 2016] UNCHARTED 4: A THIEF'S END (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) -  42,500 / 235,500 (-78%)

[Week 09, 2017] HORIZON ZERO DAWN (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 114,000 / NEW
[Week 10, 2017] HORIZON ZERO DAWN (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 46,000 / 160,000 (-60%)
I honestly think the digital ratio will be 40+% in the uk easily. If it was only 40% then in the uk this is over 500k already. Just insane and has fooking blown me away. I was like it will be hard to beat god of war. Well guess what. It fooking blew it away.

Hopefully on Wednesday we find out Japan had a good week 2. Comg showed it had a small drop to week 2 and its still #1 on amazon Japan. If it has a good second week then fook me because Japan traditionally has very steep week 2 sales. Digital in Japan will be impressive too because it sold 96% of its stock week 1.

I'm so hype to hear the pr. The only question is it week 1 or 2 weeks pr they give  They might hold out for 2 weeks because the number will be very impressive and over 5m.

Shadow Of The Tomb Raider Goes Gold - GameSpot

Lmao tomb raider when gold in July. Why the fook did they not release it at the start of August. Who's running SE? This is Ludicrous.

Xevross

Still funny seeing the ps4 version still selling much more then the xbox version in their second strongest market. WW the ratio will be the usual playstation bloodbath. Ps4 version might not be selling well but xbox is horrendous. So not only was the deal damaging for SE, in the long run it did diddly squat for micro.
I honestly think the digital ratio will be 40+% in the uk easily. If it was only 40% then in the uk this is over 500k already. Just insane and has fooking blown me away. I was like it will be hard to beat god of war. Well guess what. It fooking blew it away.

Hopefully on Wednesday we find out Japan had a good week 2. Comg showed it had a small drop to week 2 and its still #1 on amazon Japan. If it has a good second week then fook me because Japan traditionally has very steep week 2 sales. Digital in Japan will be impressive too because it sold 96% of its stock week 1.

I'm so hype to hear the pr. The only question is it week 1 or 2 weeks pr they give  They might hold out for 2 weeks because the number will be very impressive and over 5m.

Shadow Of The Tomb Raider Goes Gold - GameSpot

Lmao tomb raider when gold in July. Why the fook did they not release it at the start of August. Who's running SE? This is Ludicrous.
Microsoft got a few extra Xbox One sales in holiday 2015 from it. I don't know if it was enough to be worth what they payed, but I sure hope it was. Otherwise, the deal was terrible for both Squeenix and MS which is just tragic. Squeenix have mismanaged this franchise in so many ways its such a shame. Could have been an Uncharted competitor/ replacement but now its just an afterthought to the genre.

SE have had a bad gen. It feels like out of their major franchises the only one they've gotten right is DQ, they've also had some good success with games like Nier and Octopath but that's about it. They need to turn it around.

I think they'll stick to their usual week 1 sales announcement but then very quickly announce the extra milestones once they're reached.

Go Up