Should violence be optional in most games?

Started by Legend, Jun 25, 2020, 05:15 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Kill all humans if you want. This isn't about violence in games being bad. There doesn't have to be a better ending for non violent runs.

It's just about giving players more freedom.

Lots of people for example really don't want to kill dogs in games and a recent AAA title sold itself as dog killing optional.

Why not extend this all the way? Kill dogs if you want, kill humans if you want, kill wild animals if you want, but if it doesn't harm the game, how about making it optional? Stealth is fun and non leathal methods are also fun in lots and lots of games.

Xevross

Well that would be a heck of a lot more effort for most games and I would personally hate it. This would mean putting stealth mechanics in pretty much every game, unless some come up with more elegant solutions, and I really don't like stealth. And for some it just wouldn't fit the tone. Obviously you wouldn't want to play a Doom game without violence.

I think this is mostly a non-issue anyway, I don't see anybody complaining about it.

kitler53

it's a great feature in games that support it like uncharted 4 but for most games it just doesn't make sense.  

mortal combat without violence?
red dead without violence?
halo without violence?

yeah, that would be games without gameplay.    

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Well that would be a heck of a lot more effort for most games and I would personally hate it. This would mean putting stealth mechanics in pretty much every game, unless some come up with more elegant solutions, and I really don't like stealth. And for some it just wouldn't fit the tone. Obviously you wouldn't want to play a Doom game without violence.

I think this is mostly a non-issue anyway, I don't see anybody complaining about it.
Do you never do stealth in Uncharted or TLOU?

And yeah as I said in the OP, this only makes sense if it doesn't harm the game. Doom and pretty much every other fps would not apply.

it's a great feature in games that support it like uncharted 4 but for most games it just doesn't make sense.  

mortal combat without violence?
red dead without violence?
halo without violence?

yeah, that would be games without gameplay.    

I'm thinking more along the lines of games where this could be worked into the world and feel like a natural element.

Uncharted being a great example. The first game did not have stealth outside of a couple very specific sequences. Uncharted 2 introduced stealth to the series and now it feels like a core element of the franchise.

Xevross

Do you never do stealth in Uncharted or TLOU?

And yeah as I said in the OP, this only makes sense if it doesn't harm the game. Doom and pretty much every other fps would not apply.

I'm thinking more along the lines of games where this could be worked into the world and feel like a natural element.

Uncharted being a great example. The first game did not have stealth outside of a couple very specific sequences. Uncharted 2 introduced stealth to the series and now it feels like a core element of the franchise.
Yeah I do but only to start an encounter and try to make the fight easier by killing a few first. If I was stealthing through the whole game I wouldn't find it fun, the action sequences are the best bit.