Avatar The Last Airbender is still fricken awesome

Started by the-pi-guy, May 16, 2020, 01:00 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

I daresay one of the best shows.

I seriously get chills several times a season.

Legend

I enjoyed it but never fell in love. Maybe I should watch it again now that I am an adult.

the-pi-guy

darkknightkryta

It's honestly up there with Lost and Naruto as the best show for character development.  Really pushed the boundaries, especially as a kids show.  Who'd of thought 26 year old me, would be able to, not so much relate (Cause that's impossible), but find such deep connections to these kids.  Even my dad watched this with me, and he hates the things I like. 
As an aside, I was at HMV, maybe 12 years ago, and they had the limited edition of book 1 that they made for the movie. It was like 50 bucks.  I never really watched Air Bender before so I didn't know how good it was.  I asked the clerk if it was worth it.  He paused for a bit, hands it back to me and said "It's worth it".  I didn't listen to him.  When I finished watching the show I remembered the conversation.  He was right.

Xevross

This is a correct opinion.

the-pi-guy

Kitler subtly saying he likes the show.  8)

I enjoyed it but never fell in love. Maybe I should watch it again now that I am an adult.
It's one of those shows that's technically aimed at children, but it respects the adult too.  
And it tackles a lot of really adult subject matter.  

I'm a bit surprised that you wouldn't love it.  I would think you'd be interested in stuff like the world building.

It's honestly up there with Lost and Naruto as the best show for character development.  Really pushed the boundaries, especially as a kids show.  Who'd of thought 26 year old me, would be able to, not so much relate (Cause that's impossible), but find such deep connections to these kids.  Even my dad watched this with me, and he hates the things I like.  
It's one of a few shows that most of my family watched, including my dad.  
He was still interested in it, when I was watching it a few days ago.  There are not a lot of shows like that, that he would care to even ask about.

This is a correct opinion.
There aren't many shows that are quite so consistent from start to finish.  There are some not as good episodes, but even the worst episodes I don't think are bad.  

Legend

It's one of those shows that's technically aimed at children, but it respects the adult too.  
And it tackles a lot of really adult subject matter.  

I'm a bit surprised that you wouldn't love it.  I would think you'd be interested in stuff like the world building.
I watched it when it first aired and I rewatched it a second time around 8 years ago. Characters and writing were great. Just never felt amazing, like something I'd rank above other shows I've enjoyed. I don't remember the world building being that good per say. Better than a lot of other shows but not really deep or focused.

kitler53

Kitler subtly saying he likes the show.  8) 
i love the show but had nothing to add to the thread.

this thread convinced me to rewatch it though.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

darkknightkryta

I watched it when it first aired and I rewatched it a second time around 8 years ago. Characters and writing were great. Just never felt amazing, like something I'd rank above other shows I've enjoyed. I don't remember the world building being that good per say. Better than a lot of other shows but not really deep or focused.

I wouldn't really say the show had good world building.  It was more of "Hey, this is the world".  I mean, there's a lot of inconsistencies with lore.  Avatar was apparently an "avatar" for the spirit world.  Which obviously isn't the case.  They also retconned a few things with Korra.  But on the other hand; "No, it just says bear".

the-pi-guy

A lot of hearts.

Legend

A lot of hearts.
Is it bad that I thought of the movie first?

I saw it in theaters and remember walking out thinking it was pretty bad, but I guess it had good ice haha.

the-pi-guy

Is it bad that I thought of the movie first?

I saw it in theaters and remember walking out thinking it was pretty bad, but I guess it had good ice haha.

The movie was horrific.