What are your hopes and dreams for next gen?

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 19, 2020, 07:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

kitler53

i'm happy with the SSD and it's affects on load times.

i just want developers to spend more time rethinking old school game design principles.  things don't need to be "innovative",..  i just think some of the old troupes could be improved upon if people just spent time thinking about it.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Jan 19, 2020, 08:49 PM Last Edit: Jan 19, 2020, 08:51 PM by Legend
I want games that question gaming tropes.

For example when a player dies, lots of modern games have started to build respawning into the world/lore. Maybe there is a cloning machine, or maybe a god keeps bringing you back. I want a game that throws away the concept entirely and lets the dead stay dead. Let the player continue the game in some other fashion.

This gen we have only had a few glimpses of this but they have been incredibly powerful. Death Stranding questioned why games treat ground as ignorable, The Last Guardian questioned why characters are artificially limited beyond physics, and Breath of the Wild questioned a whole bunch of stuff. Next gen I want games that blow our minds. Not just better graphics, not just better AI, but fundamental changes to how we think games need to work.

Beyond games I really hope the industry/players can become more wholesome. Less predatory business practices, less sexism/racism/bigotry/hatred, less fanboying, more passion, more love for the art, etc. Video games are amazing and just keep getting better so it's frustrating that the "out of game" experience hasn't improved with them. Esports broke into the mainstream this past gen and maybe something just as awesome can happen again this coming gen.

i'm happy with the SSD and it's affects on load times.

i just want developers to spend more time rethinking old school game design principles.  things don't need to be "innovative",..  i just think some of the old troupes could be improved upon if people just spent time thinking about it.
I swear I didn't read your post before making mine haha.

the-pi-guy

From a system point of view, I am really hoping for a good BC solution.  Still trying to get through some older games.  

From a games point of view.  It'd be nice to see better AI and physics.  Not just for the game to look better and more dynamic.  But actually affect the gameplay.  

>Why games treat ground as ignorable

Haven't played death stranding yet, but I think this is what I'm thinking about.  For a lot of games the ground is just a bunch of fixed points.  A massive explosion doesn't affect the ground. It only affects the dynamic objects above it.  Sometimes you don't even get that.  Sometimes you just get textured scorch marks on the building that disappear a little after.  

An explosion goes off and not only is the building affected, but so is the ground.  That'd be awesome to see more of that.  

Maybe for TES VI, you can destroy a building.  And over time you see characters get together to rebuild it.  

Legend

From a system point of view, I am really hoping for a good BC solution.  Still trying to get through some older games.  

From a games point of view.  It'd be nice to see better AI and physics.  Not just for the game to look better and more dynamic.  But actually affect the gameplay.  

Haven't played death stranding yet, but I think this is what I'm thinking about.  For a lot of games the ground is just a bunch of fixed points.  A massive explosion doesn't affect the ground. It only affects the dynamic objects above it.  Sometimes you don't even get that.  Sometimes you just get textured scorch marks on the building that disappear a little after.  

An explosion goes off and not only is the building affected, but so is the ground.  That'd be awesome to see more of that.  

Maybe for TES VI, you can destroy a building.  And over time you see characters get together to rebuild it.  
Death Stranding walking is what really got me. In essentially every other video game edges/cliffs are the only part of the terrain you pay attention to. If you don't walk off an edge, you are fine. It's been the exact same platforming for decades. In Death Stranding however you have to look where you walk and move your character with a variety of factors in mind. Shouldn't just be copied into other games but was great at making other games feel flat.

Explosions are also cool. The Forged Kingdoms terrain engine supports dynamic craters for free but I have no idea how to handle the building destruction that comes with it. We could see more games like Crackdown 3 with cloud powered building physics.

kitler53

Jan 20, 2020, 02:06 AM Last Edit: Jan 20, 2020, 02:11 AM by kitler53
I swear I didn't read your post before making mine haha.
great minds!  xD

i'd also like to see terrain be improved upon but at the same time i can see how this would be a game play challenge even if technically feasible.  "invisible walls" are annoying so once you let me blow up a building i should be able to blow up any building.   so what happens if i blow up a place critical to a plot?  seems like a good way to narrative break a game.

but in sort of the same context i jump on top of a tent in horizon yesterday i thought,.. boy is this dumb that i a tent can hold my character's weight.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens