If all PlayStation/Xbox games were on PC day 1, would you still buy a console?

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 16, 2020, 11:30 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

This is a big question that a lot of people are starting to ask themselves on gaming sites.  
It's to the point where people are questioning the future beyond PS5.

For me personally, I think the answer would be yes.  Consoles are just set up a lot more convenient for the couch.  Steam does bridge most of that convenience gap, but personal experience is they still don't quite make it.  I find that I'm a lot more likely to play a game if it's on console.  

I have a solid list of games on PC, that I know I would have attempted playing them already if they were on console.  

Xevross

Yes. The console experience is just so much more reliable, smoother and convenient. My pc is much more powerful than a ps4 yet I buy all AAA games I want on PS4 still. I like the ease of play on the big screen, and with PC there's often more crashing and weird issues that you can come across. Whereas consoles will always just be sit down and play without worries.

Legend

I play a lot of games on my PC and a lot of games on my PS4. Sometimes I stream PC games to the living room and sometimes I stream PS4 games to my desk.

I'll be buying a PS5 for launch day since it kinda helps my job but outside of that, I think I'd only use it for physical games. I buy almost all my digital games on Steam.

I really love consoles because I grew up with them and I'm nostalgic. Ignoring that, it's a stupid waste of money for me to buy them if they lack good exclusives. Xbox One is the first console I've skipped and I might skip Xbox Series X too. I fully understand that consoles will die as streaming takes over but I hate the service based future of the industry. It's taking over everything and sucks as a money tight consumer.

nnodley

yeah id still buy a ps5.  I have a monster PC but i don't want to put hours upon hours of gaming on it on top of doing intensive graphics with building games and what not.  

Plus consoles are just easier to move around.

kitler53

i would still buy a console.   i just don't like gaming on PC as much as console.   consoles are easy and convenient.  they hook up to the tv easy.  they never crash.  i'm not responsible for driver or OS updates.  i can't get a virus.  i love them for streaming netflix too,.. yes my "smart tv" could do it but i tried the UX and it is terrible compared to consoles.  i don't really like keyboard and mouse controls.  plus since i work in software using a computer at home just stresses me out,.. even when not working is just feels like work.  I don't have any PC in my house and that is by choice.

however, there are a lot of people that like to play games on PC and also have a console for exclusives.  i can't think of any reason why someone that has a gaming PC would buy a console if games where released on both platforms.   that certainly means fewer console sales.  i'm not sure by how much but just looking at Xbox One i'm going to say,.. a pretty noticeable number less people are going to be interested in a console if the console has no exclusives.

i will not presume to have any opinion on which plan is the better plan for sony's business.  but i will say this,.. 
https://www.pcgamer.com/gta-5-has-sold-nearly-110-million-copies/

...you'll never reach those sales on console only.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens