What are some of your favorite game trailers?

Started by Legend, Aug 02, 2023, 07:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

the-pi-guy

This one was awesome in context. Naughty Dog less than a month after launching Uncharted 3, announce a brand new IP. Lots of talk going around about Uncharted 3's zombie references.

The dramatic voice over and music. Naughty Dog in a new world.

This one is a weird one:
I have no interest in the game itself.

I just love the menacing voice over.
"I created this world. You can not keep me here."

I think some people are actively going to hate that kind of trope; but I think it's exciting in a narrative way.

It just gives me this feeling of a huge experience with some kind of epic villain.  (And I really don't get the impression that this game really delivered on what the trailer made me feel.)

the-pi-guy

Aug 02, 2023, 08:52 PM Last Edit: Aug 02, 2023, 08:56 PM by the-pi-guy
I'll post these and talk more about them in a little bit.

This one probably doesn't count, but I think it should count.

It made me feel things in 7 minutes. The whole build up is excellent.
It's really disappointing that QD ended up having a lot of issues. But this trailer makes me want these kinds of emotional stories all the more.

Kratos being revealed.

This wonderful mystery monologue about the past. Transitioning into gameplay.

Legend

This one was awesome in context. Naughty Dog less than a month after launching Uncharted 3, announce a brand new IP. Lots of talk going around about Uncharted 3's zombie references.

The dramatic voice over and music. Naughty Dog in a new world.
Wow I totally forgot about the narration at the end. I remembered the visuals and the sound of them fighting outside perfectly, yet my brain completely removed the ending narration. Thought it was a weird fan trailer until I found another upload.  ::)

Yeah perfect reveal.

Legend

I didn't like the game that much, but this was a really well made trailer. Great pacing and just kept on raising the stakes in the second half.

Legend

The game trailer that convinced me to become a professional game developer. It's so slow and simple yet so perfect. The music playing in universe just makes everything feel more fantastical.

Legend

The game kinda sucked but this trailer got me extremely excited. It shows so little yet almost none of it looks like traditional Halo. At the time I couldn't help but think about all the possibilities.

The focus on the world was also cool. It felt like Halo was going to be a bit more grounded like the older games sometimes felt, instead of just being an action game.

Legend

The game sucked even worse than Infinite but this trailer, oh boy is this trailer good. The unconventional music really adds so much. The multiple slow shots of the ceiling feel import while almost acting like an interstitial. The out of focus blur for the first one is so simple yet so much more interesting than a direct fade in. The three world spiral at the end is again so simple yet ties everything together.

Compare it to the previous trailer:

This one is just so bad. Shows gameplay early but it's so bland and low energy. The trailer never grows, never feels like it has something to say.

Legend

It's less of a trailer and more of a short film made using the game. Really cool.

Legend

Just great at making the world feel expansive and enticing. The first jump with the paraglider is so iconic.

Legend

Another game I dislike yet the trailer is really well made. The unique art style gets you hooked from the very beginning. Also another example of a trailer where strong prominent music really adds to otherwise empty shots. The lyrics make the trailer even though you don't pay attention to them.

Legend

The Last Night from xbox's E3 many years ago. Was an unexpected hit of the show with a super unique art style. In this case the trailer doesn't do anything fancy, it knows the game will speak for itself.

Legend

Great music, great shots, and a great mix of comedy. Not only that, but it's actually a remake of a fan trailer which really made the community feel involved.

Legend

Death Stranding reveal trailer

Perfect music that's hard to understand with the clicks. Then just so much happens in the trailer. Nothing is normal yet it makes just enough sense to be extremely intriguing. It's an overload of concepts and ideas.

Opening quote however is not needed.

the-pi-guy

I forgot about these two: