It frustrates me so much (Climate change/EVs)

Started by the-pi-guy, Oct 07, 2022, 10:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

There are lots of challenges with sustainability for the future. Energy production, energy storage, what do we do with the batteries, how do we source materials sustainably, etc.

There are a lot of things we have to figure out.

But there's so much dialogue over complete nonsense, like the issues that are basically solvable right now.  
Even more frustrating, is there are lots of people using random reasons to pushback against any reasonable measures.

Legend

I feel that way sometimes too.

Electricity seems like a near perfect solution because it can act as a universal standard. Improvements can be made quickly and relatively cheaply without having to start from scratch. For example there's a common argument that an electric car powered by a coal plant is the same/worse than a gas car. It's irrelevant since we can simultaneously work on improving power generation.

It's a shame we didn't go all in on nuclear power decades ago. Existing plants would have solved most energy problems today. New ones don't seem to be the solution since they take so long to construct compared to wind and solar.

the-pi-guy

For example there's a common argument that an electric car powered by a coal plant is the same/worse than a gas car. It's irrelevant since we can simultaneously work on improving power generation.
Yep, this is a big argument that I see come up all the time. Another one is that the grids can't handle it. Or that most people's houses don't have the capacity to support it.

But some of these are issues we can improve on, if not outright solve right now.

It's frustrating how much the conservation is being driven by people who don't seem to care, or in some cases seem to be manipulative.

kitler53

I'm not holding a beer therefore I can never drink a beer. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

I'm not holding a beer therefore I can never drink a beer.
There's two arguments that probably especially bug me.  

"We wouldn't be here without oil, so the future should also be based on oil"

"We should wait for the market to decide, and make it sustainable".  

kitler53

I'm still angry that "progress" put my horeshoeing company out of business.

Their taking our jobs.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

darkknightkryta

There's two arguments that probably especially bug me.  

"We wouldn't be here without oil, so the future should also be based on oil"

"We should wait for the market to decide, and make it sustainable".  
Market would have decided this ages ago if it wasn't manipulated.

There used to be a ton of electric buses around the time I was born.  They replaced them with Petro buses because GM pushed for that.  Like, make electric buses you assholes.

SWORDF1SH

What's irritating is that nobody can meet in the middle with what is causing climate change but one thing is clear, we DO have an affect on the climate (but we aren't the only factor) and we need to make changes and switch to electric and have sustainable sources producing it. Too much is argued trying to make it black or white instead of admitting there is an issue that needs to be solved. To top it off, we have the solution.

Legend

What's irritating is that nobody can meet in the middle with what is causing climate change but one thing is clear, we DO have an affect on the climate (but we aren't the only factor) and we need to make changes and switch to electric and have sustainable sources producing it. Too much is argued trying to make it black or white instead of admitting there is an issue that needs to be solved. To top it off, we have the solution.
Yeah I get frustrated with that one too. We're in an ice age right now but that's a good thing! It's our ideal climate. Any significant change from that would displace billions of people and lead to unimaginable suffering, regardless of cause.