Scorn

Release Date : October 14, 2022

Platforms :  PC, Xbox Series

Developer : Ebb Software

Publisher : Ebb, Krafton

Scorn Hands-on and Impressions Thread : Games

Launches in exactly one month.

Legend

I'm glad this is included in gamepass. I've been following it for years and really want to disect it but I'm not sure if I'll like it or not.

Has some similarities with Hapax, including an opening almost exactly like Hapax lol. Waking up on your side sure is popular.

kitler53

I watched that 9 minute gameplay video from a year or two back.  looked terrible.  can't bring myself to even care about recent impressions. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

I watched that 9 minute gameplay video from a year or two back.  looked terrible.  can't bring myself to even care about recent impressions.
Somehow so many people think it's a shooter. The trailers have shown shooting but every bit of released gameplay makes it look like a mediocre puzzle/atmosphere game.

kitler53

Somehow so many people think it's a shooter. The trailers have shown shooting but every bit of released gameplay makes it look like a mediocre puzzle/atmosphere game.
that's what i figured out last year.  i really don't know what the expected audience is for this game.  it "looks" like a shooter but it's clearly not shooter gameplay.  as a puzzle game,.. it looks about as interesting a zelda "flip the switch" puzzle.   

no thanks.

Legend

that's what i figured out last year.  i really don't know what the expected audience is for this game.  it "looks" like a shooter but it's clearly not shooter gameplay.  as a puzzle game,.. it looks about as interesting a zelda "flip the switch" puzzle.  

no thanks.
I worry it'll be aimless too. Absolutely no narration/writing in the game so will players just progress for the sake of progression or will the game give them tangible goals?

Legend

I turned this into the OT. Launches at 4 AM local so maybe I'll wake up early. Sounds fun to experience it at the earliest moment.

Reviews come at the same time. I'm expecting the game to be kinda bad but I really hope it turns out awesome. Remember when everyone thought this game was from Sony? Introducing Scorn, an indie game too weird for the mainstream | Rely on Horror

the-pi-guy

darkknightkryta

Art looks like it came out of an 80s novel cover.

Legend

3 reviews leaked early. A 9/10, an 8/10, and a 6/10.

Legend

kitler53

Legend

That was pretty stupid. Started off strong with lots of mystery and potential. By the end it was just trash.

I loved some elements and I liked a ton of elements, but this game must have been in major development hell. Did not feel smooth or cohesive. Finished in 5 hours and I spent a long time investigating and analyzing the game. The ending is so abrupt that I thought I achieved game over/a minor ending. No credits rolled, just a kick to the main menu.

Also had some glitches. Triggered a checkpoint while at zero health so I'd just spawn horizontal on the ground and slide around until I'd die again, over and over. Had to restart the level.

The concept had the potential to be an 8/10 but it's hard to like the complete package. I want to score it really low based off how much I disliked the ending but I want to score it high based off how much I enjoyed parts besides the ending. It does a few interesting things so I'm really glad I played it and I want to analysis it with others, but I wouldn't recommend it to most people.

Pros:
Mystery
Visuals
Combat
Immersion

Cons:
Mystery
Visuals
Combat
Glitches

Legend

lol it's funny seeing lots of people online upset about the inclusion of puzzles. This game never hid what it was but it didn't properly advertise it either.

kitler53

sounds like a text book definition of a "gamepass game".