GaaS is incompatible with art: Zero Punctuation

Started by Legend, Sep 23, 2022, 12:49 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I don't agree with every point but I bet his message resonates with most people here.

the-pi-guy

Sep 23, 2022, 01:56 AM Last Edit: Sep 23, 2022, 01:58 AM by the-pi-guy
I disagree with quite a few things here. Like the idea that art has to capture a moment in time. Disagree pretty strongly with that.

I think I would disagree with the idea that art has to be cohesive.

I think r/place is a piece of art. But it's certainly not cohesive, and it could be argued either way whether it captures a moment in time. It does get archived, but while it's live it constantly changes. Stuff gets overwritten. Stuff gets constantly added. It feels a little silly to gatekeep art.

I don't think I would agree with the idea that live service can't be art. I would rather argue that live service games are incentivized to not be art. I would have to think whether I agree with it or not, but I think I would have an easier time agreeing with that idea.

Legend

I disagree with quite a few things here. Like the idea that art has to capture a moment in time. Disagree pretty strongly with that.

I think I would disagree with the idea that art has to be cohesive.

I think r/place is a piece of art. But it's certainly not cohesive, and it could be argued either way whether it captures a moment in time. It does get archived, but while it's live it constantly changes. Stuff gets overwritten. Stuff gets constantly added. It feels a little silly to gatekeep art.

I don't think I would agree with the idea that live service can't be art. I would rather argue that live service games are incentivized to not be art. I would have to think whether I agree with it or not, but I think I would have an easier time agreeing with that idea.

Those were the same things I disagreed with.

However I viewed his point more generally/favorably that good art is worth being remembered. GaaS are often trying to make players forget the past and enjoy the current thing. An integral element of art is reflection and that's pretty hard to support with the GaaS model.