PSVR2 quietly confirmed not BC

Started by the-pi-guy, Sep 16, 2022, 05:41 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

kitler53

what a battleship answer:

"psvr 2 has advanced features like haptics, adaptive triggers, eye tracking ...  and this means games require an whole different approach"

WTF?!?!   all of the old features are still there.   we don't expect old games to leverage the new features.  we just want the old games to work.  that's what BC means!!!   

...i'm pretty angry about this.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Legend

I hope there is a reasonable but loud outcry now that this is public.

Things like COD Infinite VR will not be ported yet are some of the coolest quick experiences. It's such a shame to lose access to them. Plus I really just want PSVR2's improved tracking.

I haven't looked into it in a long time but I wonder how other devs are handling DS4 tracking? It's crazy that Sony's flagship VR game Astrobot might not get a PSVR2 patch. Instead it might need something similar to Tearaway Unfolded.

SWORDF1SH

A bad decision to not have a huge library of games available via BC for  PSVR2 owners at launch.

kitler53

i specifically didn't play much of my psvr games in anticipation they'd play better on pvsr 2.  i didn't buy moss 2 yet specifically because i wanted to wait for psvr 2.

still angry.

the-pi-guy

i specifically didn't play much of my psvr games in anticipation they'd play better on pvsr 2.  i didn't buy moss 2 yet specifically because i wanted to wait for psvr 2.

still angry.

Moss 2 will 100% be on PSVR2.

SWORDF1SH

With a price bump I bet

kitler53

still angry.

here's the backlog i've been holding off on just because i wanted to better experience that psvr 2 will have.  game i literally own right now but have been holding off on playing because i wanted the psvr 2.  for some of these games the specific reason i delayed them was that the move isn't a great controller for tracking and i "knew" psvr 2's tracking would be a big improvement:
- wipeout omega collection
- star wars squadrons
- rez infinite
- gnog
- tethered
- torn
- Statik (kind of.  i did play it but i hit a bug about 1/3 of the way though that prevented me from continuing.)

Here's games that for similar reason i just didn't buy them.
- Blood and truth
- trover saves the universe
- moss 2
- psychonauts
- beat saber

This would have been a compelling backlog of games to play when if i buy a psvr 2.   now the backlog is this:
- horizon CotM

...to be honest, i was going to pre-order psvr2.  right now,.. today,.. i'm thinking i won't pre-order it.  VR games were always going to be far and few between.  psvr didn't even get to 30 80+ rated games.  if i can't even play the backlog of psvr games the library is likely not worth the cost.   sure,.. some of the above games will get psvr 2 ports.   ..but not all.  at minimum,.. i can't see psychonauts getting ported now that MS owns the IP.   and as great as astro bot is,.. i don't want to rebuy an enhanced addition.

Legend

With a price bump I bet
Sadly.

I wonder how long it'll take to get PSVR2 working on PC...

the-pi-guy

I think Sony should have done 1 of these two:

1.) Offered a default mapping for PSVR1 games, so they work with PSVR2 hardware, and ask devs if there are any mapping issues. There probably wouldn't be a lot, since most games are multiplatform and have to work with Quest/Rift.

2.) Perhaps even supported tracking the move controllers/Dualsense. Worst comes to worst, they could implement a tracking system that works similar to Meta's finger tracking system.  

Sadly.

I wonder how long it'll take to get PSVR2 working on PC...
I imagine it'll be a lot easier. The tracking method is pretty similar to the Oculus Rift S and the Mixed Reality headsets.
It also doesn't have the weird input. Any random person could plug it into their PC. I wouldn't be surprised if it was working within hours of coming out.

Legend

I think Sony should have done 1 of these two:

1.) Offered a default mapping for PSVR1 games, so they work with PSVR2 hardware, and ask devs if there are any mapping issues. There probably wouldn't be a lot, since most games are multiplatform and have to work with Quest/Rift.

2.) Perhaps even supported tracking the move controllers/Dualsense. Worst comes to worst, they could implement a tracking system that works similar to Meta's finger tracking system.  
I imagine it'll be a lot easier. The tracking method is pretty similar to the Oculus Rift S and the Mixed Reality headsets.
It also doesn't have the weird input. Any random person could plug it into their PC. I wouldn't be surprised if it was working within hours of coming out.

Could do a lot of things but to be fair, people would then be upset about how poorly bc works. Bad pr now might be better than years of bad pr.

I'd love to use psvr2 as my pc headset.