Tesla driving AI is the "safest" driver on the road

Started by Legend, May 12, 2022, 03:10 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I love watching these videos every once in a while to see how things are doing. Progress is steady but it still feels like it'll be years before cars can go driverless.

nnodley

I love watching these videos every once in a while to see how things are doing. Progress is steady but it still feels like it'll be years before cars can go driverless.
Not sure if it's the case with the full self driving stuff since I haven't bought it for mine yet but at least on the interstate autopilot I've used they have settings you can change on how aggressive the Tesla will change lanes.  I would think they would have similar settings for this but no clue.

Legend

Not sure if it's the case with the full self driving stuff since I haven't bought it for mine yet but at least on the interstate autopilot I've used they have settings you can change on how aggressive the Tesla will change lanes.  I would think they would have similar settings for this but no clue.
With full self driving it's not a setting but a reflection of how well the AI understands the situation. The goal is to make it as confident as possible while being able to execute in a safe manor. The problem in the video is mostly it going "ok! I can handle this situation!" only to moments later give up.

Will be weird if in the long term they have settings like for aggression in fsd. At that point Tesla would be liable for crashes so they'd probably want all cars doing everything the exact same way.

nnodley

With full self driving it's not a setting but a reflection of how well the AI understands the situation. The goal is to make it as confident as possible while being able to execute in a safe manor. The problem in the video is mostly it going "ok! I can handle this situation!" only to moments later give up.

Will be weird if in the long term they have settings like for aggression in fsd. At that point Tesla would be liable for crashes so they'd probably want all cars doing everything the exact same way.
yeah it would be weird for it to be settings based.  i always felt it was odd having aggression settings on the interstate autopilot.  Not to mention most normal drivers are somewhat unpredictable so its hard for the ai to account for that.  

Legend

6 months later, driving is near perfect most of the time:

The new update is better imo than a human at tracking cars/people and as good as a human at understanding/handling the situation, most of the time.

Seems they've made incredible progress in just 6 months. This new setup could be the one that reaches the finish line. Maybe in another 6 months they'll have something that is safer/better than an average human 95% of the time?