MS feels like they are ahead of Sony

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 19, 2020, 02:20 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

BananaKing

I'll be a broken record but it feels like PS3 in many ways. Sony was still amazing during that gen, even if they stumbled from time to time.
I know I was pissed the other day when I rambled about days gone. But honestly, where has Sony really stumbled so far?

the-pi-guy

I know I was pissed the other day when I rambled about days gone. But honestly, where has Sony really stumbled so far?
I don't think they've made any big stumbles.  

- Japan Studio news sucks, but it makes sense
- San Diego making a Gamepass game, but it makes sense.  
- various features missing like VRR

Nothing they can't fix, or that didn't make sense.

Legend

Well except the hardware is much better (for devs) and price much lower.
I wasn't a ps3 dev so I can't say for sure, but yeah dev side omg no way is ps5 like ps3.

Communication is pretty bad imo. Compare early PS5 to early PS4.

I think any other ps5 stumble is way too early to say.

BananaKing

I wasn't a ps3 dev so I can't say for sure, but yeah dev side omg no way is ps5 like ps3.

Communication is pretty bad imo. Compare early PS5 to early PS4.

I think any other ps5 stumble is way too early to say.
Yeah I remember the PS5 reveal. Was horrible. As a tech show it was good. But it was the first introduction of the PS5 to the public. They did a bad job with it. And a bad job communicating their BC.

The Japan studios thing. Honestly I feel sony gave Japan studios a massive pass that other studios didn't get, and at some point enough was enough.

They didn't manage to become what they should have. Their games weren't profitable. And they didn't score really high either. IMO sony mismanaged the studio. They should have let them release games like soul sacrifice and freedom wars on PS4. Those type of projects could have helped with their Japanese game sales. While they are blockbusters. I feel in Japan and the west they could have sold enough to be profitable.

Instead we got knack and knack 2.

Xevross

Price. Rise.

the-pi-guy

Price. Rise.
I knew I was forgetting a big one.

Xevross

I knew I was forgetting a big one.
Lol, the big one. I've said it before, but its the juxtaposition of Game Pass and the Sony price rise that makes it a real issue. One or the other and it wouldn't be so bad.

And I've also said before, the regional pricing is the real victim of the price rise, Americans won't think its too bad.

And also as many others have said, Sony aren't doing too badly. They're not really fumbling that hard, especially compared to MS with XB1 early on. Its just Sony are doing kinda meh while Xbox are knocking it out of the park.

Legend

I remember back with PS4, they went like 3 years without a major fumble imo.

Made PS+ mandatory? Didn't matter, they looked like saints compared to the other guy.

Poorly received launch games? Wasn't good, but comparable to xbox.

Order 1886 flop and "PS4 has no games"? Well Bloodborne stopped that from being important.

Xevross

I remember back with PS4, they went like 3 years without a major fumble imo.

Made PS+ mandatory? Didn't matter, they looked like saints compared to the other guy.

Poorly received launch games? Wasn't good, but comparable to xbox.

Order 1886 flop and "PS4 has no games"? Well Bloodborne stopped that from being important.

Yeah. A better and (initially) cheaper console than their competitors and only some minor issues like you said, last gen Sony really nailed it. This time its xbox who have the better designed console, if it was the other way around these 'issues' currently with Sony would seem quite minor again. Without the bethesda purchase, Sony would still be bossing first party output, so these 'issues' might have seemed quite minor.

Again, point is that its stuff that xbox have done which makes Sony look bad. The only thing Sony have done worse than last gen is the price rise and some bad optics stuff of Japan studio and the digital stores. New game output is off to a way better start than with PS4, PS4 also lacked features and had a fairly work-in-progress UI at launch so PS5 isn't any worse here.

the-pi-guy

So where are we at?

Despite the handfuls of acquisitions, this gen feels pretty normal to me.
Minor missteps that most people don't care about.

Irritatingly a lot of people are hung up on the Zenimax acquisition. Not the acquisition itself though, but fanboys are convinced that Microsoft is in the midst of buying up the whole industry, and that the acquisition like Sony buying Firesprite was defensive to prevent MS from buying them.

Microsoft has a really strong holiday season coming up, and Sony basically has nothing. But the next year looks to be a strong one for Sony. I don't think we'll be seeing Zenimax really changing things until late 2022, or later really.

kitler53

it funny to see someone complain about too much focus on the zemimax aqusition and in the next paragraph say sony has no holiday line-up days after releasing death loop...

ms has the mindshare still.  all of it is unrealized hope for the future based on games announced 5 years before release,.. but right now people fully belive that for $180 a year MS will be giving them 12+ AAA first party games a year by 2023 plus whatever third party and indie titles they secure. 

false hope in my opinion but faith is often stronger than logic.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

it funny to see someone complain about too much focus on the zemimax aqusition and in the next paragraph say sony has no holiday line-up days after releasing death loop...
It's not really related.
I was specifically talking about people think MS is buying up the industry.
Technically MS released Deathloop. :P
But Sony's lack of holiday line up is more down to delays. Horizon, and at one point God of War was probably the intended holiday line up.

Dr. Pezus

It's funny how people tend to only look at holiday games and dismiss the rest of the year. What has MS had this year?
Sony has Kena, Deathloop this month

the-pi-guy

It's funny how people tend to only look at holiday games and dismiss the rest of the year. What has MS had this year?
Sony has Kena, Deathloop this month
Oh Microsoft has had absolutely nothing.
But they have Age of Empires, Halo and Forza in the next coming couple months. Which is a crazy couple of months.

Dr. Pezus

Oh Microsoft has had absolutely nothing.
But they have Age of Empires, Halo and Forza in the next coming couple months. Which is a crazy couple of months.
Sure! Didn't know AoE was releasing this year. Its typical MS though cluttering the holidays with the rest of the year absolutely barren

Go Up