MS feels like they are ahead of Sony

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 19, 2020, 02:20 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

saw an article alluding to MS in negotiations to acquire a "japonese publisher".   for fudge sakes if MS aquires SE i'm going to be soo fudgy mad.  i'll quite video games before i buy into MS's monopoly.

Imran Khan source

They have talked with major Japanese publishers about acquisitions. I can't speak to how far those conversations have got. That's not a thing that most people know about. And I certainly don't.

But they have talked. They are very clearly interested in some major Japanese publishers. They're interested in smaller studios.

the-pi-guy

I think Sony is in a really difficult position.
I feel like Sony has to push hard for content creation.

Xbox + Zenimax + Activision + Maybe Sega? would be a crazy force to fight against.

Feels like they're falling further behind. And most of their moves have been pretty small in comparison.

the-pi-guy

Microsoft tried with Capcom a few years ago & it was very close to happening.
:o

the-pi-guy

Personally I think it's switched pretty substantially.

Feels like MS has squandered their good will and their studios to a great extent.

Sony has closed the gap pretty substantially in their studio count, and their studios seem to be doing a better job of getting games out.

BananaKing

I feel like we all just read a bit too much of resetera at the time. Sony is killing it, and now that the Activision purchase seems to be falling through, MSs situation doesn't seem so strong. Halo is a mess. Gears isn't what it used to be. The majority of their xbox studios are struggling with their games (rare, playground, the initiative, 343i).

Bethesda is saving their asses, but I wonder how long that will work until MS start to mismanage them

nnodley

Apr 28, 2023, 12:29 AM Last Edit: Apr 28, 2023, 12:31 AM by nnodley
Once starfield does below expectations and the likely exclusive elder scrolls 6 does below as well, we will see them getting reshuffled or some of the studios shut down.

It's very likely to happen

As much as I think starfield looks great. But why would I even pay $70 when I can just pay for gamepass. 

Horizon

The biggest difference between MS and Sony are that Sony's big studios release big games and are productive whereas MS don't. Xbox only has Playground to rely on to release high quality games at a good cadence and it's only Forza Horizon, we still don't know how they'll handle Fable. 343 take too long and underdeliver. Coalition are stuck on a outdated IP and BGS take so long to make their games. Sony would be in the exact same situation without ND, Insomniac, Guerrilla and Santa Monica. Without them 4 the they'd have to rely on the likes of Sucker Punch,Bend, Media Molecule and Polyphony which are much less productive.

kitler53

Once starfield does below expectations and the likely exclusive elder scrolls 6 does below as well, we will see them getting reshuffled or some of the studios shut down.

It's very likely to happen

As much as I think starfield looks great. But why would I even pay $70 when I can just pay for gamepass.  
what what expectations are we putting on this title?

critical reception?  game unit sales?  console unit sales?  new gamepass subscriptions?

i imagine it will do great on critical reception.   i just don't know about the other ways to grade it.   i have to imagine a massive portion of people that want to play starfield that already have an xbox already have a gamepass subscription too.  so like.. will it sell well on steam?  will it push consoles?   i dunno.   it's a "big" game but it's also a new IP which always makes it a bit harder to grab the attention of the more casual gamers.  

i doubt it "does nothing" but does it do "enough" to make MS happy?   i think this is a pretty big test of MS's gamepass approach.   starfield assuredly was an expensive game to make so can they really afford to give it away "free" on gamepass if gamepass subs are stalling out near 25 million.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

nnodley

what what expectations are we putting on this title?

critical reception?  game unit sales?  console unit sales?  new gamepass subscriptions?

i imagine it will do great on critical reception.   i just don't know about the other ways to grade it.   i have to imagine a massive portion of people that want to play starfield that already have an xbox already have a gamepass subscription too.  so like.. will it sell well on steam?  will it push consoles?   i dunno.   it's a "big" game but it's also a new IP which always makes it a bit harder to grab the attention of the more casual gamers. 

i doubt it "does nothing" but does it do "enough" to make MS happy?   i think this is a pretty big test of MS's gamepass approach.   starfield assuredly was an expensive game to make so can they really afford to give it away "free" on gamepass if gamepass subs are stalling out near 25 million.
I think i'd say more on how does it push xbox consoles. But that also may not be a metric that MS really cares about.  I'm sure they've already looked into what they are missing by not putting on PS5 so they may not care. I don't see it pushing a ton of new gamepass subscribers, tbh.

Legend

I think ms is still ahead. They've been having a lot of issues as of late but what happens if starfield is a hit? Sony has no short term response to that.

Long term microsoft is screwed, I think we all agree that they'll change something about gamepass, but short term they could crush Sony if Starfield, Avowed, and other crud release within 12 months and do well. Sony only has Spiderman 2 announced.

kitler53

wow, I could not be more opposite then you.

short term MS is screwed.  ABK being blocked is "feels" diminishing even if nothing changed.  Xbox has been on a drought forever and starfield is still pretty far away.  and who knows if starfield can be a hit.  even if good it's a new IP which makes things harder.  plus, this is a Bethesda game that's day-1 on PC and will probably require modders to make it playable.

meanwhile Sony is absolutely crushing it in sales.  spiderman is equally close as starfield and an easier IP to advertise.  that TLoU mp is due and especially after the TV show another easy thing to advertise.  plus they have next to nothing announced so ps can do a showcase whenever they feel like it unlike MS that blew their load years ago.

where MS is well positioned is even without ABK they are the biggest 1st party by far and despite ABK I'm certain they will aquire more. MS has the cash and patience to keep buying more and more.  ....and if gamers actually transition to the cloud MS is already basically untouchable.

not sure if I agree we'll move to the cloud or not.  I see it as a battle,.. publishers would certainly love how cloud can't be pirated.  gamers would loathe the inconvenience.  who wins?

the-pi-guy

I think ms is still ahead. They've been having a lot of issues as of late but what happens if starfield is a hit? Sony has no short term response to that.

Long term microsoft is screwed, I think we all agree that they'll change something about gamepass, but short term they could crush Sony if Starfield, Avowed, and other crud release within 12 months and do well. Sony only has Spiderman 2 announced.
Eh I think even if all of those things come out, it's mostly playing catch up.  

I feel like chances are good, Spider-man will outsell Starfield.  

kitler53

Eh I think even if all of those things come out, it's mostly playing catch up.  

I feel like chances are good, Spider-man will outsell Starfield.  
niche-man?  no way...

the-pi-guy

I know I already replied to this...

But I think it's clear even a lot of Xbox fans are unhappy with the state of Xbox right now.

I've been a die hard Xbox fan for over 20 years now but it's getting really hard to stay on board. I own a PS5 also and they just release banger after banger meanwhile Xbox is just dud after dud. Not sure if it's bad management or what's going on but they need to get their shame together.
From that Xbox reddit source.

Legend

I know I already replied to this...

But I think it's clear even a lot of Xbox fans are unhappy with the state of Xbox right now.

From that Xbox reddit source.
Maybe I just have way too much faith in starfield lol.

Go Up