MS feels like they are ahead of Sony

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 19, 2020, 02:20 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

It feels like the MS momentum paused. They were pulling all these moves and significantly increasing their value, but now the waiting game begins. Starfield is huge and next year but all their other mega announcements like Avowed, Elder Scrolls V, The Outer Worlds 2, and Fable imo are still years away. In the meantime Sony has huge games releasing now.

I think Sony screwed up by letting Microsoft narrow the gap significantly in such a short amount of time, but for now they still have the upper hand with software imo.

Hardware and services, yeah MS is killing it. Xbox has some funky things with their operating system but it's really easy with gamepass to just enjoy playing games.

kitler53

It's not really related.
I was specifically talking about people think MS is buying up the industry.
Technically MS released Deathloop. :P
But Sony's lack of holiday line up is more down to delays. Horizon, and at one point God of War was probably the intended holiday line up.
of course it's related.  

it was a Sony exclusive until the studio got bought by MS.  overnight the rhetoric turned to "i'll wait for gamepass" completely undercutting the value of this game to Sony.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Dec 19, 2021, 11:34 PM Last Edit: Dec 19, 2021, 11:56 PM by the-pi-guy
Sony this past year seems to be dedicated to tackling criticisms.

- keeping the PS3, Vita stores open
- fixing the CMOS battery issue on PS4/PS5.
- working on creating a game pass competitor
- working on expanding their first party studios

Jim Ryan said they did not want to be complacent this gen. 

After this year, I'm really starting to believe it. 

MS has 22 development studios + external publishing.

Sony has 15 development studios + external publishing + support studios (PlayStation Malaysia, Nixxes, Valkyrie Entertainment + etc)

Microsoft doesn't seem to have anywhere near as much inhouse support as Sony does. 

But I predict that SIE will buy a few more studios in the next year to try to be closer to MS in development studios.

They will probably continue with smaller, lesser known studios.

kitler53

the way Sony works these days we shouldn't be surprised if ember labs or lucid is acquired.  I wouldn't rule out supermassive or ready at dawn but maybe the missed their opportunity.  

also jade's new studio could be up for grabs.  

i'd say kojima too but I don't think he wants to be aquired. 

the-pi-guy

the way Sony works these days we shouldn't be surprised if ember labs or lucid is acquired.  I wouldn't rule out supermassive or ready at dawn but maybe the missed their opportunity.  

also jade's new studio could be up for grabs.  

i'd say kojima too but I don't think he wants to be aquired.
They have already missed Ready at Dawn, purchased by Facebook/Meta.  
I agree, don't think Kojima wants to be acquired but maybe SIE could change his mind.  

I'm betting they'll buy 3 smaller studios or 1-2 larger ones next year.  

Jade's studio and Deviation games seem likely.

kitler53

They have already missed Ready at Dawn, purchased by Facebook/Meta.  
I agree, don't think Kojima wants to be acquired but maybe SIE could change his mind.  

I'm betting they'll buy 3 smaller studios or 1-2 larger ones next year.  

Jade's studio and Deviation games seem likely.
oh right.  I forgot about that.  

we'll ember studios is the one I really hope they purchase.  I haven't played kena yet but even if it's so-so I don't care.  Sony has the ability to help them get better but you can't coach style and I really like the art direction of kena.  more and bigger please!!

not even sure who else is left for grabs.  

MS probably buys something huge like EA or take two.  fudge them. 

kitler53

BananaKing

For the right price, anybody would sell. Bethesda was doing fantastic and growing. But when MS literally puts billions infront of you, and over night you can become a billionaire, you'll sell.

Same with kojima, same with ted price. After spiderman he got an offer that was worth it for him. He becomes a hundred millionaire, still works the same job, still gets a fantastic salary. My pridection, kojima will sell before he retires. When he is still working there will be the time where KP will be valued the highest, he will sell, and eventually retire with crazy amounts of cash.

Legend

E3 2022 will be big for Sony. I'm already feeling the hype.

What will ms be able to do? Maybe pull a Nintendo and go all in on Starfield? It and Hellblade seem like the only big games from them ready for an update.

kitler53

What will ms be able to do? Maybe pull a Nintendo and go all in on Starfield? It and Hellblade seem like the only big games from them ready for an update.
they just announce their entire 2026 line up and sprinkle in a few vapor ware titles.  this is the MS way.  every last year is always a disappointment but don't fret because every next year is going to be MS's biggest year ever!!

the-pi-guy

Dec 20, 2021, 06:23 PM Last Edit: Dec 20, 2021, 06:25 PM by the-pi-guy

MS supposedly has tons of games in development, but a lot of it isn't coming for a long time. Obsidian alone is supposed to have like 4 or more games in some stage of development.

I am curious to see what Sony does. They have barely announced anything this gen. They could throw everything out.  But so far, they have been prioritizing shorter times between announcement and release. 

the-pi-guy

I think this generation/next generation is going to be insane on the first party front.

kitler53

I think this generation/next generation is going to be insane on the first party front.
I think by next gen there will be no 3rd party outside of indies and everything will be exclusives.

horray for needing to buy multiple hardware's and multiple subs in order to game,.. oh and after that the games will all be GaaS and require season passes to keep playing.

I swear to God I'll just play retro games for the rest of my life....

the-pi-guy

I thought this was a good time to re-evaluate this.  

I felt that MS was ahead because they seemed to be doing things that gamers liked. Backwards compatibility, Gamepass is very liked in a lot of circles, the Xbox hardware is great, and it felt like MS's marketing has stepped up.  

But the most important thing at the end of the day are the games. On this front, I expected MS to do a lot better than they have. And it still seems like they're struggling to hit their stride.
They have a large number of games that seems like they will be 4+ years between announcement and release. Which is crazy.  

Sony on the other hand, has released every first party game they announced at the first PS5 Showcase.  

I worry a bit about Sony's live service push.

But I also get the impression that MS is focusing more on variety over quality in the next year. Which can also be troubling.

kitler53

Well,.. my main critique on Sony is not having enough of that quirky variety that drew me into their ecosystem in the first place and not enough "indie" games along side their AAA to round out their line up. 

To that end I kind of like what MS is doing.  

…but then I watched some trailers.   Yeesh.  It's hard to believe pentiment is from industry veterans.  That shame looks like a lone wolf's first attempt at making a game.  

Go Up