PS5 |OT| now with PlayStation Portal

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 29, 2020, 11:33 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

kitler53

Worth noting that this is 30 games for launch window. God knows what period that is
historically "six months"-ish.   but based on the era thread most of these 30 appear to be confirmed for day-1.   

...probably because most of them are just patches to psvr games or ports from quest.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Legend will probably disagree.

But I think GT7, Resident Evil Village, Horizon CotM is an okay launch line up.

What I'd like to see from here is post launch support. Give me action adventure, give me RPG, give me Astrobot rescue mission 2.  

Also on a weird note, I kind of got the vibe that Sony group is more excited about VR than SIE. Felt like they spent a few minutes hyping up VR related stuff, only for Jim Ryan to spend like a minute on VR and then start talking about accessibility controllers.
It's crazy imo because PSVR1 released within VR's first commercial year yet still had 28 launch games. Back then it was the wild west with everything being novel, yet they still launched with 28 games.

I really expected psvr2 to blow it out of the water. How the heck are big titles like Beat Saber not there at launch?

the-pi-guy

It's crazy imo because PSVR1 released within VR's first commercial year yet still had 28 launch games. Back then it was the wild west with everything being novel, yet they still launched with 28 games.

I really expected psvr2 to blow it out of the water. How the heck are big titles like Beat Saber not there at launch?
I feel like the number of games doesn't tend to change that much for new launches.
Like the console launches tend to have 15-30 games regardless of how popular the console ends up being. That's the range that PlayStation 2-5 were all within.

I think the bigger thing that changes is the quality of the titles.
PSVR1 had a lot of novelty. Some of the games were 1 hour experiences that probably were in development for several months.

PSVR2 has more AA, "AAA"* titles that have been in development for years.

*Not really AAA by some standards, but others might very well consider something like Resident Evil to be AAA*

kitler53

resident evil is pretty AAA even by non-VR standards.    it's not GTA AAA but you can say only the most expensive game ever is AAA or you'll only have 1 industry wide.

Legend

I feel like the number of games doesn't tend to change that much for new launches.
Like the console launches tend to have 15-30 games regardless of how popular the console ends up being. That's the range that PlayStation 2-5 were all within.

I think the bigger thing that changes is the quality of the titles.
PSVR1 had a lot of novelty. Some of the games were 1 hour experiences that probably were in development for several months.

PSVR2 has more AA, "AAA"* titles that have been in development for years.

*Not really AAA by some standards, but others might very well consider something like Resident Evil to be AAA*
I think it'll be easiest to just wait till February and see how it feels. With the lack of BC, I feel like PSVR2 is not ready to be a replacement for PSVR1. People will be very frustrated having to go back to old hardware for games that have not been ported.

resident evil is pretty AAA even by non-VR standards.    it's not GTA AAA but you can say only the most expensive game ever is AAA or you'll only have 1 industry wide.
Yeah definitely a great launch game.

kitler53

i don't much care how many games come day 1 to any system.  

frankly i think it makes sense to hold back games to ensure there are new titles in the months that follow the release.   better to release 30 games day 1 and 10 games a month in the next 6 months than to have 60 games day 1 but then have nothing release for 3+ months after.

the-pi-guy

I really do think launch wise is at an okay place.
Resident Evil Village, Horizon Call of the Mountain, Gran Turismo, Moss, No Man's Sky, I think makes for a decent launch.

It also has Walking Dead 2, Resident Evil 4 (in some form) coming the month after.

Firewall Ultra, Beat Saber also coming at some point. And other stuff as well.

I'm sure Resident Evil 7 will make it there as well.

It isn't a lineup that looks amazing to me, but I think there are plenty of genuinely solid titles in there. I'm more concerned about what 3 months out looks like.

the-pi-guy

kitler53

Legend

I don't really understand why only Sony could pull this off. Couldn't oculus do the same thing if they prioritized it?

the-pi-guy

I don't really understand why only Sony could pull this off. Couldn't oculus do the same thing if they prioritized it?
I feel like he's saying other devs couldn't do it for PSVR2.

kitler53

yeah, that was my take too.  not that sony is the only one in the world that could do this,.. just that it would have to be done by whomever is making the APIs for accessing the hardware and in the case of PSVR it would be sony.

the-pi-guy

Legend

Yeah but it's not unique to psvr2. Could be said about most headsets.

the-pi-guy

Yeah but it's not unique to psvr2. Could be said about most headsets.

Although, with a lot of headsets being standalone now, Sony might have an advantage with lower latency.

Go Up