Programming Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 13, 2016, 10:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Legend

the-pi-guy

Unity strikes again
I knew it was a local vs global issue, I was just very confused where it was coming in.  

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Legend

Never seen anything like that lol. 5 aaa must be a really senior spot or just a sports studio lol.

kitler53

eh. job postings are a companies wish list.  I've never hired a person that has met all of the job posting criteria. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

{id, object}
{hhid, object}

"Okay, so we just take all the same code and replace id with hhid.  Easy"

*Hour later*

Browser: whhidth=100

Legend

{id, object}
{hhid, object}

"Okay, so we just take all the same code and replace id with hhid.  Easy"

*Hour later*

Browser: whhidth=100

Haha yeah I've had that with php since I wrote it in a text editor.

Legend

I'm going insane.

It is a complete tangent to everything and a good enough solution really would be good enough, but I'm trying to create an algorithm that fits an axis aligned regular hexagon to a grid of points, while making the hexagon as small as possible.

I have spent hours just bashing my head against trig only to realize I've made basic fundamental mistakes like multiplying by 2 instead of dividing. I keep coming up with seemingly solid algorithms, only for them to fail on edge cases. Why the heck am I bothering with this? I think I'll delete it all in the morning, unless the solution is stupidly obvious once I have slept.

the-pi-guy

I'm going insane.

It is a complete tangent to everything and a good enough solution really would be good enough, but I'm trying to create an algorithm that fits an axis aligned regular hexagon to a grid of points, while making the hexagon as small as possible.

I have spent hours just bashing my head against trig only to realize I've made basic fundamental mistakes like multiplying by 2 instead of dividing. I keep coming up with seemingly solid algorithms, only for them to fail on edge cases. Why the heck am I bothering with this? I think I'll delete it all in the morning, unless the solution is stupidly obvious once I have slept.
Did sleep help?

Legend

the-pi-guy

I really need to start doing things more efficiently.

I have a tendency to do stuff project based. I make stuff from scratch for each project.

Like any time I need to read from a file, I make that from scratch everytime.  I've probably written the same kinds of methods like 20 times and I've probably used like 4 different Java libraries to do that same thing in slightly different ways.

I need to get better about doing this kind of stuff more efficiently. Making libraries, instead of just making stuff for projects.

Legend

I really need to start doing things more efficiently.

I have a tendency to do stuff project based. I make stuff from scratch for each project.

Like any time I need to read from a file, I make that from scratch everytime.  I've probably written the same kinds of methods like 20 times and I've probably used like 4 different Java libraries to do that same thing in slightly different ways.

I need to get better about doing this kind of stuff more efficiently. Making libraries, instead of just making stuff for projects.

Ditto.

I'm horrible at all that.

kitler53

requires having vision over the entire whatever and recognizing what will be reusable from what is purpose driven.  

this kind of vision planning is what everyone sucks at the most.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Go Up